• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shimming for Fine Tuning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have recently used the word "Shim" or "Shimming" in determining the ideal patch compressed thickness.
I used to suggest Cigarette Paper which is now getting hard to find because the Ciil Dudes are using it to ruin their lives so I have come up with a few others that should work as well.
Scott 1000 is sold as a toilet tissue which is something of a disappointment when used as such beasue it is thinner than hope but it should be excellent in adding very thin additional thickness to your experimental search.
Coffee maker filters, .The kind that look like big cupcake papers. They appear to be thicker than the Scott gossamer.

Tissue Paper that's used for all sorts of purposes from florist creations to doughnut wrapping.

We wantt to add very slight thicknesses till we find the right thickness. but in your experiments you might not want to add more than 3 or four layers before teying a slightly thicker cloth and then reacting the experiment.

"Shimming"is sort of an End Run that is faster, and way cheaper than buying all sorts of different fabrics

Your 4 inch group at fifty yards will open to at least twice that size at 100 yards and if you are hunting living animals you want to accept the sniper's ideal of One Shot, One Kill which eliminates the animal from needless suffering.

Dutch

Back