• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shiloh sharps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee thunder

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I ordered a barrel liner on 12/28. Order was confirmed. Have tried to contact customer service several times to check on progress. Sent email, receiving no response. I have not been able to get anyone to pick up the phone. Is Shiloh sharps closed for the holidays?

Do they have a website? Should tell you store status somewhere.

The business and the land around it was for sale. They wanted to find a buyer that would keep it running and all the employees working.
IF they managed to sell it, who knows what the new owners may be doing for business operations.
Anyone know if it actually sold?

The business and the land around it was for sale. They wanted to find a buyer that would keep it running and all the employees working.
IF they managed to sell it, who knows what the new owners may be doing for business operations.
Anyone know if it actually sold?

I never realized that Shiloh Sharps made muzzleloaders. :dunno:
My mistake. I stand corrected.

I never realized that Shiloh Sharps made muzzleloaders. :dunno:
Before the War Between the States, Sharps had developed a falling breech rifle which was loaded from the rear using a cloth or paper cartridge. As the breech block was closed, it cut off the rear of the cartridge exposing the black powder.
A separate musket cap was used to fire the gun.

Although they are not true muzzleloaders, they could be loaded thru the muzzle using a patched or unpatched ball just like other muzzleloading guns.

Shiloh built copies of the 1859 Sharps for several years but stopped making them several years ago.

Because these guns do not use totally self contained cartridges which contain a primer, they can be talked about on the Muzzleloading Forum.

If you just go down the street to the other end of the block and across the street you can deal with some nice folks at C. Sharps. They even have a nice showroom and friendly folks to talk with....not so with Shiloh.

If you just go down the street to the other end of the block and across the street you can deal with some nice folks at C. Sharps. They even have a nice showroom and friendly folks to talk with....not so with Shiloh.

I have never dealt with Shilo as a friend ordered the carbine I have and a cartridge gun for himself. After several years and countless phone calls the guns arrived but he has nothing positive to relate about the conversations and I believe that if they sent him a brown truck full of free rifles he'd throw a Molotov cocktail at it when it pulled in the drive.

Shiloh has long been known as a company that builds the best reproduction rifles for the Sharps cartridge rifles.
They are high priced and the company makes no bones about charging it for their guns.
Whether they are worth the extra money or if they are better than the Pedersoli Sharps is debatable. I guess it comes down to whether a person wants to be able to brag about owning a Shiloh and be proud of spending the extra money or is just interested in having a high quality rifle.

We have an annual shoot when my friends brothers come home from the oil fields in the Dakotas. The shoot consist of blackpowder arms ranging from Revolutionary War to Cowboy Action. I fisrt want to express that I do not claim to be an expert, however of the few Pedersoli and Shiloh Sharps I have handled and shot only the Pedersoli had issues. Two Pedersoli with broken extractors, not a great track record for the limited I have handled and shot. Is there a quality difference between the Pedersoli and the Shiloh? Yes, in my opinion there is a difference beyond just bragging rights.

I do not speak for the Bryan family or their company Shiloh.
I own two of their rifles. The Shiloh Rifle company is a Christ- centered family business and gets very high marks for quality, fit and finish and attention to detail.
They spend time with family over Christmas as do their employees.
They make their own receivers, barrels and small parts with QC that borders on fanaticism. Wood quality and inletting are spectacular.
The sale of the business will be to someone who will uphold their values and treat their employees well. They are in no hurry.
My life long shooting buddy shoots a Pedersoli. Nothing wrong with it mechanically. It is built to a price point.
My only regret is not buying a percussion rifle from Shiloh.
Irish

Last edited:
I own a Shiloh Sharpe's that my uncle bought back in the early 90’s. A Long Range Express I believe. He passed away without ever shooting it and so far I haven’t either. It’s a beautiful rifle with fancy wood and great wood to metal fit.

I removed several posts because they deal with cartridge rifles.
Getting into discussions about cartridge guns is against forum rules so please don't post comments about them.

Is there a quality difference between the Pedersoli and the Shiloh? Yes, in my opinion there is a difference beyond just bragging rights.

Yup. Considerable, but, given the price difference, not really surprising.

Pedersoli = Chrysler.

Shiloh = Rolls-Royce.

I posted this above but now I have had to remove more posts which showed targets shot with a .45-70 so, I'll post it again:

I removed several posts because they deal with cartridge rifles.
Getting into discussions about cartridge guns is against forum rules so please don't post comments about them.

Latest posts

Back