• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shenandoah .36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this is probably the wrong bunch to ask, but here goes. I've run across a Traditions Shenandoah Flintlock in .36 cal at a pawn shop. It has been fired, but is in excellent condition. I can get it for $250.

Good price or about average? Should I buy it? I don't currently have a flint rifle, but have had in the past.

It would probably be used mostly for paper punching, squirrels and rabbits, but I also have a .32 percussion for those.

$250.00? He's rippin ya off. Where is this shop (just PM me name and address and I'll go give him a piece of my mind :grin: ). The NERVE!

I would have put it on a card before I left myself, may be gone now, always is with me :shake:

Kansas Jake said:
I know this is probably the wrong bunch to ask, but here goes.

Why would you think that?

I wish I could find more .36 caliber rifles for decent prices. It's my favorite caliber. The .36 Shenandoah is no longer being made (in flint or percussion), so they're becoming harder to find and prices are climbing. You can still find one or two new, unsold models for sale online, but prices are over $700. If I could find one in good condition for $250, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

I know you guys all tried to talk me out of it, but I couldn't help myself. I went ahead and picked up the Shenandoah. It also included a suede leather gun case that came along with it. Look out squirrels. Now I just need some .350 round balls or a mold. Any other ball size recommendations?

YOU gotta talk to them about the mould they made me the mould and it's great hope this helps and I use 50 grains of 3F

Hornady OOO buckshot works for me. There's a whole lotta balls in a 5lb box of buckshot.

Yep 000 buckshot works great. Hornaday, 5lb box for around $25. Been using 20 gr 3f. gives me a 2" group at 50 yds with a spit patch (.01 cotton muslin). .022 ticking sparsely lubbed with coconut or olive oil gets me a 1" group (short starter needed). Enjoy.
Will

Thanks guys for the great information. I'm excited to try it out. That will probably need to be a week or two away due to other commitments.

I would suggest you get some .350 and .355, or even .348 from outfits like TOTW, to see what works best with the patching you have or get. Even the #000 buckshot idea is valid. The gun will tell you when it's happy and then you can think about investing in a mold.

I'd grab it in a heart beat.
My Shenandoah .36 flinter was obtained from someone who somehow neglected to mention that the barrel was ringed. Funny how that happens.
So now it's rebored to .46 to use the same round ball as a 1851 six shooter. But I'd still like to have a smaller bore rifle.

I have a Shenandoah and I absolutely love the rifle.l use .350 hornady round ball with a prelubed .10 pre lubed patch I shoot 25 g FFF for rabbits and squirrels.with this load the rifle is a real tack driver.The gold coloured front blade sight can be hard to see in full sunlight.

Back