• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sheet metal smoking pipes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudnut

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I just purchased a rolled sheet metal tobacco pipe, the shape is remienicent of a clay, Anyone know where I can read more about them as my google search turned up nada.

No no no, It a reproduction pipe. Ive seen them before over at fronteir folk, i got it from a fellow on fb that was selling off some of his gear,its not a pot pipe or a vape watchacallit, its a simple rolled sheet iron pipe that is in the shape of a clay pipe,

IronPipes9.jpg

Gotta say, that does look like something I saw twisted out of aluminum foil in the Woodstock movie.

But they don't crack if you look at 'em hard like the clay pipes.
They are a pain to make. I created a pattern and tried, but I think my metal was too thick or thin for success. I then gave up smoking, so didn't pursue it further. I will eventually try again one day as I have friends that smoke pipes...

Well when the corps of discovery ran out of bacca ,they chopped open the handles of their pipe hawks and smoked the built up tars in the stem, so a little hot smoke probably didnt bother them.and it wouldnt break but may get flattened out. The bowl is fairly small so by the time you get done its about to hot to hold by the bowl

Having been a smoker - when you need a fix, you will satisfy the craving in any way possible...

00F0F62C-96FD-41F0-AA87-CFD3880083C2.jpeg
I quit smoking years ago, but from time to time I do enjoy an occasional cigar or a bowl of tobacco around the camp fire.

I’ve always liked the looks of an antler pipe, but “that smell” of burning antler would be a problem.

So here’s what I came up with, out of shear boredom...

C9ABB443-BE06-4B1D-AB56-6EB02208D1DF.jpeg

I drilled the bowl hole then inserted an aluminum sewing thimble, drilled a small hole in the bottom too allow the smoke thru.
The stem was made from cane, much like the corn cob pipes I smoked as a kid, filled with rabbit tobacco or corn silk.

Not pc/hc in anyway, just a fun project on a rainy Winters day.

I still haven’t tried it out as of yet....

Is antler a safe material to use for a pipe ?

Also I can't imagine what it would taste like. Burning antler.

View attachment 5734 I quit smoking years ago, but from time to time I do enjoy an occasional cigar or a bowl of tobacco around the camp fire.

I’ve always liked the looks of an antler pipe, but “that smell” of burning antler would be a problem.

So here’s what I came up with, out of shear boredom...

View attachment 5732

I drilled the bowl hole then inserted an aluminum sewing thimble, drilled a small hole in the bottom too allow the smoke thru.
The stem was made from cane, much like the corn cob pipes I smoked as a kid, filled with rabbit tobacco or corn silk.

Not pc/hc in anyway, just a fun project on a rainy Winters day.

I still haven’t tried it out as of yet....
Aluminum would not have been my first choice - steel, then a far second, brass.

Well I do smoke a metal tomahawk pipe, both in brass and steel, both have long wooden handles that do much to cool the smoke. I can’t complain about the taste or harshness of the smoke.
However, both have a draw hole in the bottom then a big drop in to the long stem portion.
These pipes bend quickly and at that bend is where gasses would condense in to the harsh flavored stuff.
I’m 61, started smoking a pipe when I was 19. Doubt in that time I’ve had twenty cigarettes, and less then a hundred cigars, and two ‘chaws’. In over forty years I can’t remember a time I’ve ever needed a fix.
There are several times I have been caught with out a smoke, once for two months in the navy, once for two weeks in the pre internet days when I forgot to send an order to a tobacconist.
I would give one of those a try, and can’t imagine smoking it if I didn’t like it.

Back