• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharps carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you talking about the brass cartridge case type or the cardboard paper type? I have looked everywhere on the net for that size cardboard tube without success.
Hi Crow Feather,
The tubes are made and sold my Hahn Machine Works for use mostly in guns that have his conversion.I have used Pedersoli brass cases and they work well but are a pita to clean and the best bullet is a proprietary Pedersoli one with a heel that fits the case. Also they are outrageously expensive if even available.
Bunk

Rip, if you will look at a post I made to Captdan a couple of lines up there is the information on my Sharps. There is a thread somewhere around here on "Bullseye sight" that has a picture of the Marble Bullseye rear sight.
I doubt it would be approved for N-SSA but makes a great target or hunting sight.
Hold Center
Hit Center
That is the idea
Bunk
I got the new sights yesterday. Off to the gunsmith tomorrow.

Pedersoli Sharps Carbine disassembly ...I am looking for steps at taking apart my Pedersoli Sharps Carbine so I can soak the breech and chamber sleeve for cleaning .
After the block and forestock are removed , I would like to take off the stock , lock and trigger ... it looks relatively simple but I’m asking for steps of what to do first and any expected problems with disassembly & reassembly.

Thanks ..Believe it or not I’m not a Facebook person...if it comes to that I’ll know where to look ...

Rip the first thing you will need is a good set of gun smith hollow ground screwdrivers.

I have a wheeler set of screw drivers which work on my Uberti NMA & Pedersoli Coach gun & will work on the Pedersoli Sharps .
I’m looking for the sequence to get the lock , trigger and stock off of the barrel so I can immerse the breech end of barrel in hot soapy water to clean around the sliding chamber sleeve .
ive taken the Pedersoli Coach gun down this way and completely disassemble the Uberti revolver.
I want to do the same thing with the Sharps . I just want to hear from someone who does this if possible rather than just plunging in.

It's very simple, Rpf. Remove the screw holding the fore stock, and the barrel band. Once that's off, there's a steel bracket/spring held on by one screw to the barrel. Once that's removed, the barrel can easily be unscrewed.

Pedersoli Sharps Carbine disassembly ...I am looking for steps at taking apart my Pedersoli Sharps Carbine so I can soak the breech and chamber sleeve for cleaning .
After the block and forestock are removed , I would like to take off the stock , lock and trigger ... it looks relatively simple but I’m asking for steps of what to do first and any expected problems with disassembly & reassembly.
Check YouTube

It's very simple, Rpf. Remove the screw holding the fore stock, and the barrel band. Once that's off, there's a steel bracket/spring held on by one screw to the barrel. Once that's removed, the barrel can easily be unscrewed.
So there is no need to take the lock or trigger off the stock to be able to allow the breech end to be soaked in hot soapy water ?
All I have to do is take the forestock off to get to the block lowering lever spring , remove it and unscrew the barrel ?

I would never unscrew the barrel from a Sharps! That's somewhat like pulling the engine from your car to change the oil. Put a cork in the muzzle, point the gun down and fill the barrel with your solution. Remove the cork to drain, dry and lube. The barrel wasn't meant to be removed on a regular basis or an irregular one either.

I would never unscrew the barrel from a Sharps! That's somewhat like pulling the engine from your car to change the oil. Put a cork in the muzzle, point the gun down and fill the barrel with your solution. Remove the cork to drain, dry and lube. The barrel wasn't meant to be removed on a regular basis or an irregular one either.
Thanks ... that was the one way I thought to do it . On the Company D YouTube series of 3 videos showing cleaning a Sharps rifle he shows a method they use where lock , trigger and stock are removed but the video does not zoom in so I was actually looking for their method more or less only with a bit more specific instructions hopefully with close ups of doing it. It did not look that complicated but I’m sure getting things apart and back together could be trickier that it seems , thus my search for some help.

My chamber bushing was stuck, so didn't see any other way to get it out. It's longer than the breech block so wouldn't come all the way out even if it wasn't stuck.

The barrel unthreads very easily by hand. It would rattle out if it wasn't for the block/lever spring. There were marks to line up my barrel but it was already seated at that point.

I don't plan on taking mine apart every time I clean, but it's not a big deal to remove.

Removing barrels from pistols or rifles is a whole 'nuther thing.

My chamber bushing was stuck, so didn't see any other way to get it out. It's longer than the breech block so wouldn't come all the way out even if it wasn't stuck.

The barrel unthreads very easily by hand. It would rattle out if it wasn't for the block/lever spring. There were marks to line up my barrel but it was already seated at that point.

I don't plan on taking mine apart every time I clean, but it's not a big deal to remove.

Removing barrels from pistols or rifles is a whole 'nuther thing.
Thanks for your experience !

That's unusual but hey if it works for you.

When I got the gun, the barrel rattled. Discovered the spring wasn't positioned to hold the barrel tight, so it could tighten and loosen a little and the spring would tap against the stop. Repositioned the spring and that handled that.

So the barrels don't normally unthread easily. I didn't know that.

I am interested in a tang sight for my Pedersoli Sharps Carbine . I saw one, Goodwin 2nd gen I think , that is offset a bit to the side so you can run a range rod down for cleaning with out removing it that looks interesting .
My range only has 50 & 100 yard targets and I get on paper with the open sights but I’d like to be able to get a sight dialed in better than what I’m doing now . If I got any good with it , I might try to find some place with longer range targets but I’m not there yet. I need to get good at the 50 & 100 first.
Ron

I am interested in a tang sight for my Pedersoli Sharps Carbine . I saw one, Goodwin 2nd gen I think , that is offset a bit to the side so you can run a range rod down for cleaning with out removing it that looks interesting .
My range only has 50 & 100 yard targets and I get on paper with the open sights but I’d like to be able to get a sight dialed in better than what I’m doing now . If I got any good with it , I might try to find some place with longer range targets but I’m not there yet. I need to get good at the 50 & 100 first.
Ron
ISince your Sharps is a Pedersoli the tang is tapped and threaded. Look in Brownell's and find a tang sight that folds down when not in use or cleaning. Marble makes a couple of folding tang sights with windage and elevation adjustments. Brownell's web site is www.brownells.com. or try Buffalo Arms.
Good luck
Bunk

ISince your Sharps is a Pedersoli the tang is tapped and threaded. Look in Brownell's and find a tang sight that folds down when not in use or cleaning. Marble makes a couple of folding tang sights with windage and elevation adjustments. Brownell's web site is www.brownells.com. or try Buffalo Arms.
Good luck
Bunk
Thanks ..

Latest posts

Back