• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharps carbine loading question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nitrating the paper is not needed. I have never nitrated my cartridges.

Always use the strongest caps you can get. I use 6-winged caps. Reliable and fast ignition. Sometimes, the flash hole needs to be opened up just so little.
Yes i did have to open the flash hole in the very nice TOW nipple. Obviously the fire path in a musket is shorter than the Sharps so a little drilling and I get 100% ignition when using RWS caps. No nitrate just tracing paper (thanks Mike B.) and hair curler paper for the flat base. Also for the first couple of shots the nipple gets a bit of FFFFg to dry out the fire path. The breech block is cleaned by being soaked in Moose Milk so everything inside is clean and lightly oiled.
Bunk

Could a Lee real bullet be used for these rifles? I have been using the lyman mold that came with my used gun

I'm using the Christmas Tree with ringtail and the "Modern Style" from Pedersoli, the Lyman Plain (548657, 54-450gr) and the Kal.54 Sharps from Hensel, never had the idea to test a Lee REAL bullet for cartridges making...

Nitrating the paper is not needed. I have never nitrated my cartridges.

Always use the strongest caps you can get. I use 6-winged caps. Reliable and fast ignition. Sometimes, the flash hole needs to be opened up just so little.
Where are you finding 6-winged caps?

Could a Lee real bullet be used for these rifles? I have been using the lyman mold that came with my used gun
I see no reason why not if it is the correct caliber. There is a bullet called a "stake cutter" I call the "flying beer can" that is a cylinder with grease grooves. I have shot a couple and they seem OK. A REAL bullet lubricated should make a dandy hunting bullet. Try it and see how it shoots.
Stay Safe
Watch Six
Bunk

Without any real interest, nobody uses them anymore and the efficacy is not better, but if you really want you can find six wings primers here (for example) : Percussion caps RWS No1218 - musket
Generally, people around here still get advised to use them for the Sharps since they are apparently stronger. Do you think that it doesn't really matter and that the 4 winged will be powerful enough to carry the spark through the channel?

Yes I say that, and I can also say that I never had used any six-winged primers with any Sharps or other in sixty-four years shooting...
This is what I ever used for Sharps rifles and muskets...
Amorces.png

If the channel is clean and the nipple, like a nipple must be, that works pretty fine with the good cartridges made with the good paper at the bottom...
That works well till 100 yards, you can believe me, 15 shots, 100 yards, 50 grains of FFFg, Christmas tree ringtail bullets, flax cartridges and 15 four-winged caps:
Sharps-lin-100m.jpg
... ;)

Last edited:
I must have been doing something right, but I do not know what. Suddenly my APP cartridges are notional about going off. Sometimes it gives a bang sometimes I get a not bang. Priming the nipple with FFFFg cures the problem, but going back to real Gunpowder solved the ignition problem completely.
I will continue to use APP in my revolvers and in those unmentionable brass thingies, but the Sharps gets Gunpowder exclusively and that goes bang every time.
But the experimenting was fun.
Respectfully
Bunk
Take your breach block and boil it in hot water for@10 minutes and it will fire again. Boiling will not mess up the breach block.

Take your breach block and boil it in hot water for@10 minutes and it will fire again. Boiling will not mess up the breach block.
I have learned by experience that APP in any form is harder to ignite that Gunpowder. That, coupled with the convoluted fire path of the Sharps, makes the difference.
Bunk

Back