• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sharps blanks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After much reading I still cannot get a good idea on how to make 64 cal sharps blanks. I have tried several designs without much luck. The cap goes bang and that’s about it. I need some sure-fire blanks. Thanks

This s a breech loading Sharps carbine. I should have been more specific. Problem is a paper cartridge without a bullet goes to far down the chamber so the charge is to far from the cap. I think.

'morning,
If I'm using early war clip tail, I use standard .50 paper tubes. If I'm using the later war flat base, I use the same mandrel that I use for making live rounds and I use tissue paper for the base. I really don't use the flat base blanks much, they're so tedious to make, and without a bullet on them, they sit down in the cartridge box tins too far.
And hot caps. Schutzen or RWS wingless (the later no longer in production). If I have to use standard RWS caps, I use a little bit of 4f at the base as a primer (to be exposed when the tail is cut).
I really hope Gun Tramp was joking, because nothing looks worse than that. I watched on guy do it at an event, and gave him hell afterwards. That he was on the opposing side and wearing kermit green instead of the proper dark green didn't improve my attitude.
Mike

Latest posts

Back