• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sharpening flints?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please remember IF you grind flint/chert use a good mask that dust is very nasty for your lungs (wet is safer till the dust dries)
In England the gun flint makers didn't make it past 40 , the dust is micro super sharp razers of silica(glass) not good for the eyes or lungs
DSC03227.JPG

face mask.jpg

when I knap it's glasses strong breeze or fan blowing dust away from me
DSC03220.JPG
DSC03195.JPG
You can also pressure flake back to very sharp W leather pad and an antler tip

I use a knapping hammer or snippers. Eve a pair of small pliers will work. You just need to freshen the edge a bit. Used them for years and they work well.

saving old worn out flints is like years ago when people saved aluminum foil out of gum wrappers & cigarette foil also string for string balls. when done what do / did they do with it / then, after? I also admit that I also am to blame, I have a shoe box of them, that I will die with!

Please remember IF you grind flint/chert use a good mask that dust is very nasty for your lungs (wet is safer till the dust dries)
In England the gun flint makers didn't make it past 40 , the dust is micro super sharp razers of silica(glass) not good for the eyes or lungsView attachment 146643
View attachment 146634

when I knap it's glasses strong breeze or fan blowing dust away from me View attachment 146637View attachment 146642You can also pressure flake back to very sharp W leather pad and an antler tip
take me to your leader!

I've been saving 'tired' flints with the intention of trying to sharpen them for re-use, if I could find a suitable diamond-impregnated wheel or disc. I also want to try the same method for correcting 'humped' flints which do not fit the cock properly.
Yesterday, at the estate sale of an advanced (really!) lapidary/rock hound, I acquired a diamond disc machine made for grinding glass, which I think will work equally well for flint. My question, then is: have any of you tried sharpening flints by diamond grinding, and with what results? I am aware of the need to control dust, so all grinding will be with water on the operation.
From a few experiments with diamond files (really labor intensive and slow!), I believe the method is worthwhile, but want to compare notes with anyone who has some experience with grinding, rather than re-knapping, flints.

mhb - MIke
I kind of recall reading that there was a tool they might carry in their 'possibles' bag, like a combo-tool screwdriver, etc., that had a little 'chipping' head you could use to freshen flints. I've never had ANY luck playing around with flints, but I bet many guys will reply here to you! Good luck!

I knap with a piece of deer antler and an old, large iron nail will bite into flint very well too.

I've been saving 'tired' flints with the intention of trying to sharpen them for re-use, if I could find a suitable diamond-impregnated wheel or disc. I also want to try the same method for correcting 'humped' flints which do not fit the cock properly.
Yesterday, at the estate sale of an advanced (really!) lapidary/rock hound, I acquired a diamond disc machine made for grinding glass, which I think will work equally well for flint. My question, then is: have any of you tried sharpening flints by diamond grinding, and with what results? I am aware of the need to control dust, so all grinding will be with water on the operation.
From a few experiments with diamond files (really labor intensive and slow!), I believe the method is worthwhile, but want to compare notes with anyone who has some experience with grinding, rather than re-knapping, flints.

mhb - MIke
I have used my rock saw to cut flints and do use my rock grinding wheel to refresh my flints. And the grinder is water cooled.

I give most of my cores to folks who use them for fire lighters, or toss them on the ground for the amusement of future archaeologists: 'Look Dr. Oldigger, a worked piece of stone! There must have been a primitive village on this site, and they must have been lead miners judged on our other finds! These small pieces of carefully worked flint were possibly used as currency to purchase those small beads we occasionally find!' And thus a whole new civilization is created.
I have dropped worn out flints on a beach frequented by rock hounds .

In England the gun flint makers didn't make it past 40 , the dust is micro super sharp razers of silica(glass) not good for the eyes or lungsView attachment 146643
View attachment 146634

when I knap it's glasses strong breeze or fan blowing dust away from me View attachment 146637View attachment 146642You can also pressure flake back to very sharp W leather pad and an antler tip
Yes, pressure flaking is the easiest and most effective way to re-sharpen a flint.

You an use a copper rod or antler tine to remove tiny flakes and re-establish a sharp edge.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/extending-flint-life.112689/

View attachment 146634

in those days hardly anybody made it past 40. you are over doing it with that mask

After working the 911 WTC recovery for 7 months , I gained a new respect for how "DUST" can kill more of our members have died after working the pile than on the "DAY" you must decide what your health and life are worth!
I will keep the mask(same type I used working to bring home the HEROs)
wood dust (walnut can be nasty to) and after the last 2 yrs I'm sure everyone has a M95 mask in the shop, cheap insurance for your family's well being
It's a free country do what YOU want🇺🇸
3b60d2c5-ab00-48d2-a64e-22c36ae8953b_zps627b84b7.jpg

I have a diamond blade on a tile saw with a water compartment to keep blade wet .I will try that on some flints THX for starting thread gives us some good ideas

I kind of recall reading that there was a tool they might carry in their 'possibles' bag, like a combo-tool screwdriver, etc., that had a little 'chipping' head you could use to freshen flints.

I have this one I made from a piece of copper and an old screwdriver blade. I generally knapp flint in the cock jaws.
PICT0576-1-1.jpg

Back