• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sharpen Flint?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Owl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Right now I shoot a percussion rifle but I'm thinking about a flint. Do you have to sharpen the flint from time to time and how do you do it? Thanks.

Use a small brass hammer to tap away at the edge, chipping off little flakes. I've also done it with needle nose pliers to nibble off little bits. It's certainly not scientific and takes a little practice, but gets the job done. Some flints keep going without any attention for over 20 shots, others don't last long at all. It also has to do with the geometry of the lock and the frizzen hardness. That's what makes them so much fun....each is unique.

I take the flint out and pressure flake it (micro flakes) on the range I keep an extra flint in my pocket and change out if dull till I can pressure flake
DSC03195.JPG

i carry a turn screw in my hunting bag. it has a 90* shoulder that engages the flint edge and when struck by the ball of my short starter does an admirable job of knapping the edge. i do the full sharpening at home with the same setup as bldtrailer. usually get carried away and make a half dozen flints while i have the setup out. then forget where i put them!:doh:

Another trick I've used is this: Dump the priming, plug the touch hole with a feather, a toothpick or some other object. Pull the cock to half cock. Secure the butt under your arm against the shooting side of your body. Place your index finger of your non dominant hand under the flint. With your dominant hand gently tap the flint's edge with the spine of you knife. Be sure to dump the tiny flint chips from the pan before repriming.

Right now I shoot a percussion rifle but I'm thinking about a flint. Do you have to sharpen the flint from time to time and how do you do it? Thanks.
Flints are like cars and trucks, they are all different. Some flints will last and others will need to be sharpened or thrown away after a few shots. It also depends on your lock. Some locks eat flints more than others. Once you get the hang of it you will reap good ignition, provided you have a decent lock.
Larry

I find replacement to be the best way to Re sharpen flints. I tried to get more life out of some dull flints by resharpening, just wasn't worth the effort IMO.

What others have said about gentle knapping on the rifle is, pretty much, standard operating procedure. Takes a bit of practice but you will either catch on or buy a 30-06. 😉
For older, really dull flints, many of us flint fanatics, myself included, use a diamond grit drum on the drill press or other spinny tool. It works and can save flints, which are expensive these days.

This is what I use for touching up. Usually just hand pressure is enough to shape a new edge. You can tap the top with a knife or short starter if needed. But as has already been said the geometry of each lock, main spring pressure, and frizzen spring pressure all contribute to varying the number of strikes you’ll get from each flint. And flint quality fits into that too. You might get 4 or you might get 40. But regardless, flints are relatively cheap (for the present) and relatively easy to reshape. Just keep a good supply on hand and swap out now, then work on reshaping as you progress.

Attachments

• 5E2B199E-A6DC-4DE6-B986-48267D3C4E47.jpeg
    5E2B199E-A6DC-4DE6-B986-48267D3C4E47.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
What others have said about gentle knapping on the rifle is, pretty much, standard operating procedure. Takes a bit of practice but you will either catch on or buy a 30-06. 😉
For older, really dull flints, many of us flint fanatics, myself included, use a diamond grit drum on the drill press or other spinny tool. It works and can save flints, which are expensive these days.
Can you post a pic of the drum you mention?

Can you post a pic of the drum you mention?
This is I use, may not be the same as Rifleman. These are for a Dremel. I like to clamp the flint & leather into a small C-clamp and either hold or put in a vise. I’m not a saftyholic around the shop but I certainly wear safety glasses when using these on flint.

Attachments

• 94809B70-92A6-4845-9132-A572A377F447.jpeg
    94809B70-92A6-4845-9132-A572A377F447.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I've had flints that gave 5 shots and others that self knapped and lasted for easily100 shots. Most fall in between the two extremes. Example: a flint gives 25 or 30 shots with nothing more than wiping the fouling off then it's too dull and needs knapping. Knapping gives maybe 10 more shots before dulling. A second knapping gives 5 to 10 more shots while a third knapping only gives 3 more shots. That would be a good flint although not a great flint. I always used to install a brand new flint prior to season opening and kept the old flint for informal practice.

I'm not period correct when it comes to knapping a flint. I have not had good luck doing it, and have ruined too many flints by trying. In the field I carry a diamond file to touch up the edge if needed. At home, in the shop, I will do as TDM does and use a rotary tool with a diamond wheel to re-sharpen the flints, and to remove big humps on some of the new flints.

Usually pressure flake myself. I've got a little brass rod with a notch I filed on the end and a loop bent on the other (for a lanyard or what not) it's actually very simple and I almost never change a flint until it starts getting real short.

Back