• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Share some of your fun toys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's some of my little cannon collection. I've added more since then. Also have a nice selection of long guns and pistols but no current pictures of them.
have you shot them all? and are they kit's?

They are all .50 caliber and the only one that was a kit is the field piece with the wooden wheels., think it was made by CVA. The big field piece in the back was a flea market find which appears to of been made back around 1860 by Strong Fire Arms. Most of the rest I spun out on my old South Bend heavy ten. And yes I shoot them with patched round balls or wadded with tin foil for good bang.

i love these picture sharing spots but now the robbers and crooks know what you have and where to find it. i would never do this but would like to. too many crooks out their looking at sites like this.
I understand how a crook will find out what a person has but how do they fiqure out the "where" part? Can that be done over a computer just by the avatar and user name? Maybe there are hackers out there who can do such a thing, but it's beyond me.

Nice pistol MysteriousSmith, pretty soon you’ll have to get you a rifled musket to go along with it, they are a ton of fun as well. By the way, what Civil war books are you reading? I’ve been into re-enacting the Civil and Revolutionary wars for 30 years and have accumulated way too much stuff.
Umm, yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of... wanting a musket! My recent interest in black powder was generated by reading Chernow’s “Hamilton“ and revisiting in full Burn’s marathon Civil War documentary. I read “Grant and Sherman“ and “Citizen Sherman“ and reading “Sherman’s Civil War - Selected Correspondence“ and Adler’s “Guns of the Civil War.”Just received “When Sherman Marched North from the Sea - Resistance on the Confederate Home Front” which seems interesting. I know it sounds like I’m a Shermanphile but I just happened to land here and continued on to get various viewpoints. Would enjoy getting some recommendations from you!

Umm, yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of... wanting a musket! My recent interest in black powder was generated by reading Chernow’s “Hamilton“ and revisiting in full Burn’s marathon Civil War documentary. I read “Grant and Sherman“ and “Citizen Sherman“ and reading “Sherman’s Civil War - Selected Correspondence“ and Adler’s “Guns of the Civil War.”Just received “When Sherman Marched North from the Sea - Resistance on the Confederate Home Front” which seems interesting. I know artist it sounds like I’m a Shermanphile but I just happened to land here and continued on to get various viewpoints. Would enjoy getting some recommendations from you!
You’ll like “Landscape turned Red” by Stephen Sears. It’s about the battle of Antietam (my favorite)

I understand how a crook will find out what a person has but how do they fiqure out the "where" part? Can that be done over a computer just by the avatar and user name? Maybe there are hackers out there who can do such a thing, but it's beyond me.
I know there are ways to find any of us. Whether someone would go to all that trouble for the black powder guns shown hereabouts? Doubtful. It would make more sense to go to the modern sites and look for the high dollar cartridge guns which would ostensibly be easier to unload somewhere shady...
I know of a few guys who lost firearms in burglaries, most times the crooks were known personally by the victims. Lock em up. The guns and the crooks.

high dollar, have you looked at the price of uberti colts and smiths. to me 700 dollars plus up to 1200 dollars is high dollar.

high dollar, have you looked at the price of uberti colts and smiths. to me 700 dollars plus up to 1200 dollars is high dollar.
How many common thieves will be aware of those values? And how easily will that thief be able to sell an saa copy in downtown Baltimore as opposed to a G17?

Good for nothing but pure fun. Touch to play.

234 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Reminds me of my last Deputy Sheriff job...a guy had 20 acres and the land on either side sold into "ranchettes" ie. 10 acre tracts.

He has a mountain howitzer, full scale and after an afternoon of grilling and drinking he loads up that puppy and lets RIP! Car alarms go off and Ex-DFW dwellers run for cover and call 911.

After several visits and calming down the neighbors I finally had to tell the guy he could fire it all he wanted, but the court cost was about $200 a round for DOC.
He started towing it to the back of his pasture to lit it up.

At least the car alarms don't go off.

Reminds me of my last Deputy Sheriff job...a guy had 20 acres and the land on either side sold into "ranchettes" ie. 10 acre tracts.

He has a mountain howitzer, full scale and after an afternoon of grilling and drinking he loads up that puppy and lets RIP! Car alarms go off and Ex-DFW dwellers run for cover and call 911.

After several visits and calming down the neighbors I finally had to tell the guy he could fire it all he wanted, but the court cost was about $200 a round for DOC.
He started towing it to the back of his pasture to lit it up.

At least the car alarms don't go off.
Location, location, location! This place is around 1 mile from the nearest other neighbor. The rest of the area has no buildings and only one road. A ten acre track would be in town. Play safe.

Last edited:
i love these picture sharing spots but now the robbers and crooks know what you have and where to find it. i would never do this but would like to. too many crooks out their looking at sites like this.

Well your security level is your business. However, after 31 years of law enforcement, 23 as a detective, I can tell you that the vast majority of burglars aren't trolling the internet looking for black powder guns. ;)

Those that are trolling the internet looking for stuff to steal are looking for high dollar/small size. Meaning, the larger and heavier the [fill in the type of property] the more it needs to be worth on the street. So jewelry, drugs, and then maybe a modern handgun, and finally a modern rifle or shotgun. It's the ability to exit, and not be spotted as suspicious, plus the risk vs. the gain that drives the selection. IF folks get guns stolen it's likely a) a crime of opportunity, and the bad guys had NO idea what they were taking, OR b) the person had been in the house in the past and knew what the stuff was, and lined up a buyer or buyers or wanted the stuff for themselves.

A burglary takes less than 6 minutes from breaking the entry to exit. This is why it's rare that Law Enforcement catches the burglar in the act, and instead when people have alarms, we promptly arrive a few minutes after the crook departs. You figure...., it's one minute until the alarm goes off after it's tripped...which allows the home owner to get to the alarm key pad and deactivate the alarm before it triggers. Then another minute after the alarm triggers for the alarm monitoring company to call the location to ask "Is this a false alarm? What's the pass code?" (The ringing phone tells the burglar(s) a silent alarm has been tripped..., so much for "silent"). It then takes the alarm company 1 minute to call the police and report the alarm. It takes another minute for the dispatcher to read the call and radio the call to the patrol cars...four minutes have elapsed. IF the responding patrol car doesn't arrive in the next two minutes..., the crook has left.

The crook, on the other hand, forces entry, and moves to the Master Bedroom and removes a pillow case from one of the pillows on the bed. (1 minute). The phone starts ringing and the crook figures an alarm has been tripped, and dumps the contents of any jewelry boxes or containers into the pillow case... most women keep a jewelry box in the open on the dresser :confused:. (2 minutes elapsed) Night stands are next, followed by lifting the mattress. Anything valuable is dumped into the pillow case, jewelry/watches/envelopes of cash/medicine bottles..., and a modern handgun might be taken if found. (3 minutes elapsed) Next the crook moves to the medicine cabinet and dumps all the pill bottles that are found into the pillow case. Crook is done on the second floor, but will look into any other bedrooms for other adults who may have a jewelry box on a dresser. (4 minutes elapsed) Now some crooks depart, and others may go to the main floor, to the kitchen to see if any meds are stored there (they know folks take their meds with food you see) Any meds found go into the pillow case. The last two minutes differ from burglar to burglar. Some jet out, and others will take something of large of high dollar, and conceal it behind a shed or something in the back yard, to return at night to get it.

What they want to then do is to casually roll up the pillow case and carry it away..., it won't look like a pillow case to most folks, or they conceal it within their coat. They don't want several heavy handguns, and really don't want to be walking too far with what is obvious to most folks is a long-gun. "Hey Nancy, that guy is walking down the street with a shotgun in his hand!" Nope they don't want that. They want to reach a vehicle or get to a pedestrian foot path (cops arrive in cars, not via foot paths) without being noticed. A small bag of "loot" is more easily dumped as they flee if too many cops arrive in the area in too short a time for them. OH why no guns are taken sometimes? Some think the cops will use it as an excuse to simply shoot them, some know getting caught with one is often more jail time.

The BEST way to protect your firearms of any sort..., lock them up, AND reinforce your windows and doors. I can't tell you how many high-end homes I've been in (I'm sayin' 3x more than I can possibly afford), new homes, state-o-the-art security system..., with cheese-ball locks, and craptastic installation of those locks, and cheapo security on the windows. MUCH MUCH better to spend $100 out of one's pocket to reinforce all the doors and windows, and report an attempted burglary, then to come home and find you've had a break-in.

LD

That is some great information. Thank you.

One question I have is, how does one reinforce windows? I have good metal doors, locks and reinforced door strikes, but I don't know of any way to strengthen my windows.

As a former LEO I concur with LD's post. I don't even own a watch, just ML's. The only real fun toy and (handgun) I own is a .50 flint pistol.
PICT0369-1-zps544bf87a.jpg

Back