• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shameless plug for "The Museum of the fur trade"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Located on the east end of Chaldron Nebraska...
1 hour south of Custer state park, South Dakota..Just at the boarder of Norther Western Nebraska and South Western South Dakota.
All roads lead to it!
Must see bucket list site! Make the effort at least once in your life time!
This place reeks of history!
Give yourself enough time to enjoy while there.
The wife liked it too!Bonus!
Plenty to see and buy.
I joined the museum..looking forward to the quarterly journals.

Museum of The Fur Trade Est. 1955..Built on the site of the last working trading post till early 1870's..

6f150aed-b151-49d2-b946-281c57decd6c_zpsbcefad88.jpg

This where the drooling started. by the room full................
.can you say.."Indian trade guns"?

IMG_02951_zpsa83ba488.jpg

More eye candy

IMG_0293_zps778575e7.jpg

we took the audio tour...and enjoyed the visit..lots of "How they did it "

DSC02493_zps5f52fb42.jpg

They had a short film on the French Voyagers..doing their thing...Those guys were animals...
DSC02491_zpsea93a0a7.jpg

I'll second your recommendation. I try to go at least once a year. That's right up there by my old stomping grounds.

12 hrs. 50 minutes.... 842 short miles for me and I'll be back :grin:

side note..buffalo skull with hole...brains removed for tanning.

The museum has plenty of rifles for those interested.

I've got to make it back---the last time I was down that way was 2006. I used to get there more often when my sister & brother in law lived in Rapid City, SD, but they moved back to the ranch some time ago---took away my excuse :cursing:

Rod

Wife and I were in the Custer state park area for 5 days..
Did not get to see and do it all.
If you like history..with natural beauty.plus wildlife..this is the place.
Museum located 3-4 miles east of Chaldron,Nebraska.
Lots more forts and trading posts out that direction...
We travel after labor day to avoid the crowds..it works!
Only draw back is open hours to remote forts is limited.

Gang, that part of our great country is so loaded with history you could spend a year and not see it all -- and you could spend weeks studying the unmatched collections at the Museum of the Fur Trade. I cannot recommend this outfit highly enough. Do consider joining, even if you can't visit Chadron right away. You will not regret it if you place any sort of value value on North America's rich and complex fur trade legacy. It has been too long since I have been there. Must return soon!

Thanks for the tour Dan. They had a booth set up at the CLA show this Fall its on my list of to do's.

Smo..plan a full day there....bring your camera and some money!
Lots of reference material for sale.
And back in the corner there is a couple of guns for sale :grin:
If Momma was not with me a 10 ga fowler would have followed me home.
She gave me the stink-eye and that was the end of that! :slap: :surrender:

Bill I like your description Better.. :thumbsup:
Lots of people have donated lots of collections.
I though I was in heaven...
Hope you get back soon..I'm thinking July of 2014! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back