• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Setting Triggers , before or after cocking ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one rifle that you must set the trigger before cocking, just the way the lock was made.
Assuming your trigger base is totally flush with the bottom of the stock:
I would bet if you, 1.took the triggers out, measured from the bottom of rifle right to the sear bar. 2.Measured the same area on the triggers, from base to the top of unset trigger bar. #2 would be the larger dimension. A larger dimension can only mean the trigger bar is applying pressure on the sear. If the trigger base was installed deeper than flush fit, then that can be the culprit, or combination of both too deep and trigger dimensions.
Larry

My trigger is just over 9oz when set and 2 lbs when not. I don't set it until the hammer is cocked.

Not all set triggers are created equal. some do not have an adjustment for the pressure on the rear trigger so that the rear plate stays in the open position preventing the sear from dropping into the notches on the tumbler. This set up seems more on cheaper set triggers especially on single set models. This can be fixed by installing a small screw under the spring so you can regulate the travel of the spring allowing the rear plate to drop down enough for the sear to move.

I've always cooked, then set the trigger. Reason being, I want to make sure I don't accidently drop the cock on the flint prematurely. With a trigger set beforehand, this can easily be done. By having to set the trigger after cocking, it makes me a little more aware that I need to place my trigger finger where it needs to be and reduces the chance of accidently setting the gun off before I've taken careful aim.

Elzay , in his tale of successfully shooting a Speed Goat ,Successful Speed Goat Season! , mentioned he set his triggers then fully cocked his rifle . I have always cocked my rifles with set triggers then set the trigger , Have I been doing it wrong all these years or is there no set rule ?
By the time the gun is against my shoulder it is cocked, and as I line up the sights…my finger sets the trigger, then lays against the stock…waiting to slip down and touch the front trigger, at just the right moment.

After 40-ish years, it’s become instinctive. I don’t even think about it; it just happens.

Every time.

Last edited:
Back