• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Setting the Flint position

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melnic

40 Cal.
Reaction score
All,
I want to expand my knowledge with info from the forum collective.
Here is a picture of a simple Traditions Pistol Kit I built up a few years back which was my first flint. Feel free to pick it apart. I'm looking for knowledge on setting up the position/angle etc of a flint in the jaws.
First thing I noticed is the flint is upside down compared to how I set up the flint in my Dixie Cub .40. I did not shoot this pistol much but in the less than a dozen shots, I did not have any reliability issues, however the delay I would say I bet could be improved on.
I had already drilled out the touch hole prior to shooting it to 1/16". At the time of the video and when I shot it, I did not have any 4F so used 3F

BTW, I chose to post this in the Flintlock Rifle section cause My question is mainly for Flintlock Rifle even though in my example, I'm showing my pistol

Video of just powder in the pan.

Attachments

• Flint.jpg
    Flint.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 237
  • FlintSpark.jpg
    FlintSpark.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 210
  • FlintIgnite.jpg
    FlintIgnite.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
I don't really know what to say other than you put the in whatever way makes them work the best. Some like bevel up, others down.

It depends on the lock geometry and length of the flint.

don't know how much primer you're using but too much can cause a slight delay, as can covering the vent with primer.
ignition looks good to me and as long as the flint opens the pan and produces reliable ignition, it's set right.

Just filmed this tonight.
I think the flint on the traditions needs knapping and resetting.
I just put a new flint into the dixie cub but had the angle really bad the first time.
This is of course without any powder in the pan.

Absolutely, bevel up or bevel down will depend on the lock and what gives you the best ignition. The flint only has to SCRAPE down the frizzen face and not hit directly.

Install the flint then open the frizzen and lower the cock. The point of the flint should be pointing as closely at the touch hole as possible. If it does not then turn the flint the other way. I find this makes my guns fire the quickest. Sometimes one flint works better bevel up, and the next will work better bevel down in the same gun. Its all about how it was knapped and how it points into the pan.

Back