• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Setting color and shade on an Extra Fancy maple stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have Jim Kibler’s Colonial 50 cal with his extra fancy maple for the stock on order.
I have seen beautiful examples of this stock finished using Tannic acid and iron nitrite gun stock stain. All are beautiful buy some are quite dark. I am interested in something a bit lighter. Has anyone ever Tru Oiled varnished lacquered etc. a extra fancy unstained or blond stained stock. If so, we’re you happy with the outcome?

19A43B0C-5D45-4F89-ACE8-7EF35154DC30.jpeg

I used 2 different stains; 3 layers of MinWax; and 3 layers of TruOil

87AD5F78-231B-455C-B8BA-4D8008E7306B.jpeg

Don't use the tannic and dilute your nitric or iron nitrate. If you have a red maple stock you will most likely need to cut your strength more than with sugar.

When I ordered my Colonial, I also asked for a practice piece of fancy maple to test my carving and staining abilities. To that end, I just ordered a sample kit of aniline dye - alcohol based wood stain from Keda Dye stain powder. One shot on their web site sold me on experimenting with these mix and match powdered dyes.

Attachments​

When I ordered my Colonial, I also asked for a practice piece of fancy maple to test my carving and staining abilities. To that end, I just ordered a sample kit of aniline dye - alcohol based wood stain from Keda Dye stain powder. One shot on their web site sold me on experimenting with these mix and match powdered dyes.

Attachments​

Does it shoot "low"?

Back