• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Set trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtle Dave

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi fellas
I read the other day about a single set trigger for a pedersoli Kentucky pistol.
I have one and would like to get a set trigger
Anyone have suggestions on which trigger would work in my pistol

Thanks for the help

Try the below:

Service points & Warranty service
LEE SHAVER GUNSMITH
404 East 17th St. - P.O. Box 570 - 64759 - LAMAR, MO.

If he cannot help try the below:

Spare parts deposit
VTI REPLICA GUN PARTS
P.O. Box 509 - 06039 - LAKEVILLE, CT.

Having a lock with a fly is the number one consideration. If not, you could spend a fortune altering the existing lock, or a few hundred for a better lock that needs to be hand fitted. Then a set trigger. I assume you mean a single set trigger. There really are not that many makers of set triggers, especially single set triggers. That said, it may be more advantageous to have a smith tune your lock and adjust the existing trigger to lessen play and lighten the trigger pull.

For those wondering if their guns lock has a "fly" in it so a set trigger will work, here's my method.

Bring the lock to the full cock position.
Put your thumb on the hammer spur and pull the trigger, letting the hammer slowly fall just far enough so it won't go back into a locked full cock condition. Then, release the trigger.

Lower the hammer slowly. About the time it gets to the half cock position your lock will do one of two things. Either the sear will engage the half cock notch and totally stop falling or, hopefully, it will seem to start to stop and then it will continue to fall down to the fired position. At this point, it might actually quit falling but just a slight push may start it falling again.

If the hammer ends up falling all the way to the fired position, the lock has a fly in it.
If it goes into the half cock notch and won't fall further, even with a little push, the lock does not have a fly in it.

Of course, a person can take the lock out of the gun and look to see if there is a fly in the tumbler. It will be very small and it will be located at the mouth of the half cock notch in the tumbler.
Because most locks have an internal bridle that covers much of the tumbler, it can be hard to see if a fly exists or not. The best way is to bring the lock to a full cock position and turn it upside down. You should see the end of the "sear" (the bar with the leg sticking out of it for the trigger to push against) in the full cock notch. Looking forward on the underside of the tumbler you should see the half cock notch. Look for a very small little steel thing that seems to be blocking off the half cock notch. Using a sharp pointed thing, if you push on it and it moves, you have found the fly.

This fly is there to block off the entry to the half cock notch so that as the tumbler is rotating when the hammer falls, the nose of the sear cannot enter the half cock notch. Without a fly in the lock, most set triggers won't work.

Have fun. :)

Yes my lock has a fly

After shooting on Saturday I took the lock apart
And putting it back together everything smoothed out
The pull is nice and smoothed out
Hopefully it’ll be okay when shoot again
Thanks for the help guys

Back