• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Set trigger stopping at half cock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I’m in the process of my first build and things have been going ok. It’s a TOW Bedford kit. As the title says, I’m having trouble with the double set trigger. When I pull the set trigger then pull the lock back it stops at half with a nice click. Then back to full cock with a decent click. Pull the trigger, “fire” and it stops at half cock. Pull the cock back without setting first, “fire” it will fall all the way. In any case setting the trigger will only allow the cock to fall to half. Without setting first I don’t get a good click in the full cock position. I can press on the rear of the trigger plate in this position and it will hit the sear and fall to half cock. I have been tinkering with this for 5 days, after work of course. I’ve tried shimming, filing the set trigger, adjusting the spring, and adjusting the allen screw behind the set trigger. I am open to any suggestions. If pictures might help please let me know what to take pictures of. Also, “firing” unset, is a hard trigger pull and sometimes a decent trigger pull. I hope some of this makes sense.

Thanks, Jon

Unless your trigger is one I have never seen or heard of before, you don't "set" the trigger before you cock the rifle. You cock the rifle, then "set" the trigger. Try operating the trigger in the that sequence & see what happens. By "tinkering" with it to the extend you describe it may need to be adjusted to work in the "normal" fashion, now. Not being familiar with your tigger & how it is now "adjusted" I can't offer much help. Surely others here will chime in. Pics of the trigger mechanism would help, especially the adjustment screw locations.

Hey Hawkeye. The cock locks in good in both positions with the set trigger engaged. It does not lock in as good at full cock with no preset. Either way I do do it, with the trigger set, it will only fall to half cock position. If that helps to clarify? Phil. I don’t know if the fly is working properly. I took pictures of everything so I could put it back together correctly. Is there a test I can do to see if the fly is working properly? With the lock out of the stock I can’t see anything wrong. I’ll have to say that this is my first dealings with a flintlock rifle. Some pictures included.

Thanks, Jon
E8F1BBE2-71F9-4150-913F-7EBDD9450997.jpeg
C0F0AA92-3C32-48DE-8A49-F4467EAC483A.jpeg
6B7A368D-1DEB-4B0E-8156-C1F87D3A44C4.jpeg
ADC0C758-F0AC-444D-B7AD-0BFF828800C9.jpeg
ED285DEA-98B4-4839-B23B-0DCCC29D3F3E.jpeg
EFFF15DB-B5ED-4324-82FF-C28609419D18.jpeg
image.jpg

Here is a picture of the fly when I disassembled the lock. Does it seem in right position? Also, is this the fly? Never been around this type of firearm.
Thanks, Jon
7AE54ACA-B615-4353-969F-F013249D35DD.jpeg

Maybe the trigger assembly is not inletted far enough and is not lifting enough for the sear to completely clear the half cock.

Problem is the rear trigger bar. Notice how it sticks up when it is not set and sits flat when it is set. That is the problem. When rear trigger is not set, the rear trigger bar is sticking up and holding up the sear. When it is set it is laying flat and not pushing up the sear. What you need to do is to cut away the rear trigger bar until it is not making contact with the sear when it is not set.

That is the roughest looking fly and tumbler I've ever seen. It doesn't look properly fitted.
Your fly might be backwards, Its hard to say without it in hand and test for function. It could be binding on wood when released.

I'm in agreement. That tumbler just does not look right. I suggest you try the lock out of the gun and concentrate on getting it to function reliably. Reinstall and then see if the issue goes away. If not look at the triggers. Eliminate one variable at a time.

Problem is the rear trigger bar. Notice how it sticks up when it is not set and sits flat when it is set. That is the problem. When rear trigger is not set, the rear trigger bar is sticking up and holding up the sear. When it is set it is laying flat and not pushing up the sear. What you need to do is to cut away the rear trigger bar until it is not making contact with the sear when it is not set.
Billraby, I agree, the rear trigger bar is probably contacting the sear and needs the too metal removed A bit at a time but do try the adjustment screw first. Also try removing the lock, set the triggers, and carefully try to install the cocked lock. If it hangs up on the rear trigger bar that should confirm the trouble. Best of luck!

Billraby, I agree, the rear trigger bar is probably contacting the sear and needs the top metal removed a bit at a time but do try the adjustment screw first. Also try removing the lock, have the triggers not set, and carefully try to install the cocked lock. If it hangs up on the rear trigger bar that should confirm the trouble. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Make sure the lock has a functioning fly and works properly out of the gun first. Also, shim out the trigger group with a cut up business card or similar thin cardboard, reinstall and try it. If it works then, your rear trigger bar is most likely too high.

Last edited:
It appears that you have an L&R Manton Lock. the L&R locks all of them are notorious for requiring the fly to only operate correctly when installed correctly.

You need to flip the fly over so the slanted edge of the fly is facing the full cock notch.

1610205681650.png

Flip the fly over. It is installed improperly.

Is the hole hole in the fly oversized? You may need a new fly.

Boy! L&R sure didn't take any time polishing that tumbler. The hole in the fly also look like an oval instead of round. Instead of rotating it could be getting pushed up out of the way and allowing the sear nose to hit the halfcock notch.

The rear trigger bar needs to be filed down, the fly installed properly, the whole lock polished and check that the sear arm is not bottoming out in the inlet. Also adjust the travel on the rear trigger spring so tht it doesn't bear against the sear in the released position. This is a kit, but the whole lock seems a bit rough. Nothing that can't be fixed .

Last edited:
Wow, thanks everyone! It did seem the fly was improperly installed. I flipped it over and put the lock back together. Works much more smoothly now. Put it back in the stock and operated the cock. It’s not getting a good lock in full cock. Set the trigger then pull the trigger. It will go all the way down now but with a little snag at half cock position. I apologize if these questions are dumb or have already been asked a thousand times. What could be causing the snag at half cock? I haven’t polished the tumbler yet. Also the trigger pull is still pretty hard un-set.

Thanks, Jon

Latest posts

Back