• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Set Trigger Repair - Investarms Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crane Senior

40 Cal
Reaction score
Good evening, I have a small challenge. I now have two double set triggers for this rifle and neither really works. Does anyone know a resource who can work on these?

Not to sound too much like an a-hole but, I'm assuming you tried YouTube or Google?

Somewhere I did come across how to adjust set triggers on a suppository gun. Might be the same procedure?

Sorry I can't help you beyond that but just wait. somebody will be along shortly.

Good evening, I have a small challenge. I now have two double set triggers for this rifle and neither really works. Does anyone know a resource who can work on these?
More info is needed; if you remove the trigger(s) mechanism from the rifle does the rear trigger set? And, then does the front trigger release? If not there is a screw that can be adjusted. If they do work outside of the rifle, but not when installed, there is probably a problem with how the trigger unit is inlet and/or secured in the stock. You will get plenty of helpful responses if you better describe the problem.

More info is needed; if you remove the trigger(s) mechanism from the rifle does the rear trigger set? And, then does the front trigger release? If not there is a screw that can be adjusted. If they do work outside of the rifle, but not when installed, there is probably a problem with how the trigger unit is inlet and/or secured in the stock. You will get plenty of helpful responses if you better describe the problem.
Thank you for your response. I think I understand how to adjust the two screws to adjust tension. Both triggers set, but the one I’m really concerned about will not hit the trigger sear with enough force to fire. And there isn’t any wood interfering with the trigger. That’s why I’m looking for someone to recommend a gunsmith.

Thank you for your response. I think I understand how to adjust the two screws to adjust tension. Both triggers set, but the one I’m really concerned about will not hit the trigger sear with enough force to fire. And there isn’t any wood interfering with the trigger. That’s why I’m looking for someone to recommend a gunsmith.
Not seeing what you have, there is a good possibility your lock may need some tuning. If the triggers are doing their job and the lock does not cycle, I would be looking at the lock itself. Make sure that the sear does not need excessive pressure to make the lock cycle.
Good luck
flintlocklar

If the set trigger doesn't seem to be hitting the sear hard enough to release it, the spring tension for the rear trigger needs adjustment to increase the force.

The screw between the two triggers controls the engagement of the front trigger with the rear trigger.
There is a screw further aft of the triggers that adjusts the spring tension. Usually, screwing it in increases the spring tension.
Try screwing this rearward screw in a full turn and then try the set rear trigger again.
If that doesn't work, try screwing it out. Depending on the design of the lock, it could be either way.

Although it doesn't appear to be an issue, to adjust the front trigger screw that controls the engagement/release of the front trigger, first set the rear trigger.
Then, slowly screw the front trigger screw in without putting any pressure on the front trigger.
There should be a point where the rear trigger is released and it snaps forward.

Once this release point is reached, back out the front trigger screw 1 full turn. Then, reset the rear trigger and test it by pulling the front trigger.
There shouldn't be very much movement of the front trigger before the rear trigger is released.

By the way, this front screw does not really change the pressure on the front trigger. Some people get the idea that it does and they screw this screw in.
By doing this the screw will reach a point that keeps the front trigger from engaging the rear trigger at all. I've seen them give up and declare the gun is broken.

By simply backing out that front screw a bit to get it back to what it needs to be, I've "fixed" their guns much to their amazement. :)

Many thanks to you all, it’s greatly appreciated. I think I may be good at this point. This has been terrific and pretty amazing. Again, thanks to you all.

Many thanks to you all, it’s greatly appreciated. I think I may be good at this point. This has been terrific and pretty amazing. Again, thanks to you all.
I have four Investarms and have had the same problems.Turn the screw between the 2 triggers all the way in and forget about it.Then you have to adjust the main flat spring and the main spring set screw to get the best performance.A lot of tightning and loosening of those 2 screws to get them right.And check the levers,etc for small manufacturing burrs.You would be surprised how a rough spot you can hardly see will hang up when tripping the levers.Think polishing as opposed to filing!Good Luck,some you just cannot get dialed in perfect!That's why they make Deerslayer triggers LOL.

Thank you, great info. Not great triggers but they come with the gun. Good to know others have had similar issues. All the best again thank you everyone.

I have four Investarms and have had the same problems.Turn the screw between the 2 triggers all the way in and forget about it...
Thanks for mentioning that.
I also should have mentioned, some of the triggers Investarms installs have that screw between the triggers to adjust the rear trigger release but they seem to have intentionally made the screw too short to do anything except to plug the threaded hole.

That is, because the screw is too short, it won't do anything at all. I think it's that way so people can't mess up their triggers by setting the release incorrectly.

If anyone is trying to adjust the front trigger release point and they have screwed that "screw between the triggers" all the way in and nothing happens, now you know why.

Some people have found a longer screw with the same size and pitch threads and installed it. When they did this, then their triggers can be adjusted like I described up above.

As I also mentioned above, the force needed to pull the front trigger won't change by adjusting the screw. What will change is the distance the front trigger needs to move to release the rear trigger. Without adjusting this release point, some of these set triggers can have a long, creepy pull that many don' t like.

Thank you, I found that out on my Pedersoli Hawken.
As whether or not my Investarms set triggers double click,mine do not.Depends on how you set them up,sometimes they may sound like they make a double click.As long,As it is setting the front trigger you are good to go.As far as your Pedersoli,I have a Pedersoli Frontier with double set triggers.The front trigger pull on it is the worst of any muzzleloader I have ever had.The front trigger has a pull of 8 pounds +. If I use the rear set trigger to set the front,the front trigger pull is good.No way can I use the front trigger by itself to fire the gun.

Thanks, good info. Agreed on the Pedersoli, I have never not used the double set trigger. The front trigger by itself is to heavy and too long.

The front trigger pull depends on where the the sear bar hits the front trigger blade. If the contact point is too far back, the pull is pretty bad on any rifle. Set triggers don't give you the option of moving the trigger pivot hole. I have had some luck reducing the pull by grinding the sear spring to weaken it and polishing the sear nose and full cock notch. It well help some but not a lot. If you aren't comfortable disassembling the lock, don't try it.
I have a rifle built by Tom Caster that had a single set trigger so unsafe(way too sensitive with no adjustment) I removed the setting parts and made a regular single trigger out of it. I don't think he ever tested it. Just installed the trigger and went on with the build.

If the set trigger doesn't seem to be hitting the sear hard enough to release it, the spring tension for the rear trigger needs adjustment to increase the force.

The screw between the two triggers controls the engagement of the front trigger with the rear trigger.
There is a screw further aft of the triggers that adjusts the spring tension. Usually, screwing it in increases the spring tension.
Try screwing this rearward screw in a full turn and then try the set rear trigger again.
If that doesn't work, try screwing it out. Depending on the design of the lock, it could be either way.

Although it doesn't appear to be an issue, to adjust the front trigger screw that controls the engagement/release of the front trigger, first set the rear trigger.
Then, slowly screw the front trigger screw in without putting any pressure on the front trigger.
There should be a point where the rear trigger is released and it snaps forward.

Once this release point is reached, back out the front trigger screw 1 full turn. Then, reset the rear trigger and test it by pulling the front trigger.
There shouldn't be very much movement of the front trigger before the rear trigger is released.

By the way, this front screw does not really change the pressure on the front trigger. Some people get the idea that it does and they screw this screw in.
By doing this the screw will reach a point that keeps the front trigger from engaging the rear trigger at all. I've seen them give up and declare the gun is broken.

By simply backing out that front screw a bit to get it back to what it needs to be, I've "fixed" their guns much to their amazement. :)
Hello I'm a complete newbie, & just bought the Investarms 50cal percussion 120B Hawken Rifle. From Dixie Gun Works, They sell it as the Dixie Hawken. I put it together about 10 minutes ago, & the rear set trigger seems to be always set when cocked. The front trigger pull, is about 2lb pull, when cocked which is perfect. I don't want to mess up the front trigger pull, but I would like my rear set trigger to function properly. So is the screw in the trigger housing, how I would adjust the rear set trigger, to work properly?

Back