• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Set Trigger Problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cotton52

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’m having a problem with the triggers or lock on the flintlock I’m building. If I fire it with the regular trigger the lock functions normally but if I set the rear trigger and fire the lock it catches in the 1/2 cock position. Nothing seems to be binding or contacting the stock and I have the main spring tightened down. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Cotton

The fly is in place and moves freely, I even cleaned out the lube I’d used and just went with light gun oil, no change???????
Cotton

The fly is in place and moves freely, I even cleaned out the lube I’d used and just went with light gun oil, no change???????
Cotton
As others have suggested, some clear closeup photographs will help in figuring out the issue.

From your description it sounds like an issue with the lock’s fly. The fly is there so the sear doesn’t catch the half cock notch on the tumbler after the sear bar has been momentarily ‘popped’ by the rear trigger after the set trigger releases the sear from the full cock notch on the tumbler. When you only use the front trigger the fly isn’t needed as your trigger finger will hold the front trigger against the sear bar long enough to allow the half cock notch in the tumbler to pass over the sear.

Photographs of your lock and trigger should help.

Good advice above. In addition:
1)The spring powering the rear trigger causing it to fly upwards could be weak. It can usually be made to give more force by tightening the screw that holds it in place.

2) The inlet for the trigger may not allow the rear trigger to fly upwards enough. To check this fire the set trigger with the lock out of the gun and look in the sear arm hole.

The first thing to do is zero in on where the problem lies. The procedure below will help to determine where the issue exists.
Remove the lock from the stock. Will it work out of the gun? If not, the issue is in the lock. Overtightened or too loose bridle screw, or sear screw or fly issue.
If the lock functions outside of the gun, reinstall the lock and remove the trigger assembly.
Now cock the lock and push on the sear with a screwdriver from the trigger group inlet. If the lock works, turn your attention to the trigger assembly. If it does not work, you probably have interference from wood with an inletting issue (not deep enough of rubbing). If it is a trigger group issue, try adjusting the set screw, try shimming the trigger group with card stock to see if it will work. If so,
the trigger may be too high. Others will be able to help with trigger adjustments on set trigger issues. PM me with any questions.
Snooterpup

To test the lock outside the gun the sear must be tapped rather then pressed. Pressing the sear will hold it off the tumbler for that millisecond as it moves past the half cock notch. The set trigger gives a single tap to the sear then the fly must keep it from catching the half cock notch. If you can hold the hammer and disengage the sear then slowly lower the hammer a bit to clear the full cock notch then relax the sear so it rides the tumbler. Continue to lower the hammer fully and it should ride over the fly and half cock till fully down. This will let you know if the lock is working correctly.
Teaching gun smithing is difficult over the internet but we want to help.

To test the lock outside the gun the sear must be tapped rather then pressed. Pressing the sear will hold it off the tumbler for that millisecond as it moves past the half cock notch. The set trigger gives a single tap to the sear then the fly must keep it from catching the half cock notch. If you can hold the hammer and disengage the sear then slowly lower the hammer a bit to clear the full cock notch then relax the sear so it rides the tumbler. Continue to lower the hammer fully and it should ride over the fly and half cock till fully down. This will let you know if the lock is working correctly.
Teaching gun smithing is difficult over the internet but we want to help.
Thanks for the information Phil, when I actuated the sear the way you said to the edge of the sear hits the fly and digs in like a chisel. Either the angle on the edge of the sear is to sharp or the angle on the edge of the fly is incorrect. The fly also feels very soft when I went to blend the gouge in it out, I may “Case Harden it. Thanks again for the info!! Cotton

Back