• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Set trigger not working?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birddog1911

40 Cal
Reaction score
Finally got the lock put back together on my Traditions Tennessee. Needed a lot of cleaning and polishing. Now, in the process, I did lose the set screw spring. I have another on order.

So, I put everything together, and take it to the range. Load, prime, cock the cock back, and pull the set trigger. Gently pull the trigger, and...nothing. well, manure. Try again. Nothing. Pulled the ball, and tried just a "salute" charge. Nothing. Then, I noticed that when I oulled the trigger, the cock would fall, but without the strength to strike and open the frizzen.

Packed it up and brought it home. Took the lock off, and the first thing I notice is that tripping the sear gave a nice load of sparks. Ok, so at least I know it worked that way. Put the lock back, and same issue. Bypassed the set trigger, and spark!

So, I'm trying to figure this out. From what it seems to me, it shouldn't be the lack of set trigger spring. For the life of me, there can't be a rough spot somewhere inside the lock, slowing it down. I don't think it's the mainspring, since it is making sparks. In the trigger assembly, perhaps?

Here you go.

Attachments

• 20220910_203008.jpg
    20220910_203008.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220910_203232.jpg
    20220910_203232.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 0
my guess is the bolt that holds the lock is rubbing on the hammer. Have you tried putting the lock and trigger back on leaving the bolts loose ? your issue may be overtightening I had that issue ended grinding the lock bolt and shimming the trigger

my guess is the bolt that holds the lock is rubbing on the hammer. Have you tried putting the lock and trigger back on leaving the bolts loose ? your issue may be overtightening I had that issue ended grinding the lock bolt and shimming the trigger

Well, that was the issue! I guess I just need to find a sweet spot between securing the lock, and not rubbing the hammer.

The bolster on that lock is cut out to make room for the mainspring to rise. There isn't much metal for the threads. Shortening the bolt a thread or backing it off a thread is the easiest way

Well, that was the issue! I guess I just need to find a sweet spot between securing the lock, and not rubbing the hammer.

On many of my older CVAs and newer Traditions, I tend to file the end of the screw down that holds the lock in place behind the Hammer/Cock. That makes the rear screw shorter than the front. However, on a Flintlock, I've also seen screws so long that they push the Frizzen Spring out.

Glad you found the problem!

Walt

Finally got the lock put back together on my Traditions Tennessee. Needed a lot of cleaning and polishing. Now, in the process, I did lose the set screw spring. I have another on order.

So, I put everything together, and take it to the range. Load, prime, cock the cock back, and pull the set trigger. Gently pull the trigger, and...nothing. well, manure. Try again. Nothing. Pulled the ball, and tried just a "salute" charge. Nothing. Then, I noticed that when I oulled the trigger, the cock would fall, but without the strength to strike and open the frizzen.

Packed it up and brought it home. Took the lock off, and the first thing I notice is that tripping the sear gave a nice load of sparks. Ok, so at least I know it worked that way. Put the lock back, and same issue. Bypassed the set trigger, and spark!

So, I'm trying to figure this out. From what it seems to me, it shouldn't be the lack of set trigger spring. For the life of me, there can't be a rough spot somewhere inside the lock, slowing it down. I don't think it's the mainspring, since it is making sparks. In the trigger assembly, perhaps?
Put some Inletting Black on the back of the lock…re-install the lock as you normally would, then take it apart and see if there is any inletting compound inside the lock mortise. If there is…that is most likely what is slowing your lock down…

Put some Inletting Black on the back of the lock…re-install the lock as you normally would, then take it apart and see if there is any inletting compound inside the lock mortise. If there is…that is most likely what is slowing your lock down…

Playing with it more showed me that this is just what I need to do. Now, where is that genie bottle to wish for more time...

Latest posts

Back