• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Set trigger Gurus, need some help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

40 Cal
Reaction score
Traditions Penn rifle, 50 Cal. When you set the rear trigger then pull the main trigger sometimes it will fire as a set trigger should. Other times it will release the set and not fire till you continue to pull the front trigger after the set has released. Pulled the lock off and looking thru the hole, you can set the rear and pull the front, the set bounces up each time as it should, but half the time it will not release the hammer unless you continue to pull the front trigger. Adjusted the screw inside the lock all the way to the point of the rifle being unsafe as a bump on the side of the lock plate would cause the lock to fire. Backing the screw out to the point the lock would not release when bumped did not help.

Last edited:
Is this rifle new to you and has it always been this way?

Sounds like the ‘set’ part is working properly but either the spring pressure isn’t enough to knock the sear out of the full cock notch on the tumbler or there isn’t a crisp engagement at the full cock notch itself - whether it be either the tumber or sear tip (or both) that is the issue.

How is the trigger pull when just using the front trigger? If really hard, that’s where the issue is. I had one like that, but I have all the tools needed and a 10X optical loupe with angles etched into the glass, so I can modify engagement angles where/if needed.

I cleaned, diamond honed & polished everything and got the front trigger to a safe unset pull of 3-1/2 pounds, then it all worked well when ‘set’.

When you pulled the lock, could you see the fly? Make sure it is properly installed and will force the sear all the way through the half cock notch and space above it.
Robby

new rifle. Trigger pull unset feels in the 4 to 41/2 lb range.

I’ve never seen a set of Traditions triggers. If they are similar to what I call regular set triggers, you can Try tightening the main spring on the triggers.

going to my shop and pull the trigger assembley and check some angels and spring tension. Just looking at Peter Alexander's book Gunsmiths of Grenville County, he gives some excellent diagrams of the relationship an

So when you pull the trigger 'unset' there is no hang up? Again, check the fly. increasing mainspring pressure may work but it may push the sear further out of the full cock position. Thats not a bad unset poundage pull.
Robby

This thing was completely wrong. Sear screw was backed all the way out allowing the sear to rise all the way up to the top of the tumbler and rear spring on the trigger assembly had to be tensioned a little more and the rear trigger adjusting screw reset. Seems to work fine. A great excuse to "head to the range" to veryify.

Thanks for the help.

Took it to the range, seems all is well now. Just going to stone it some to smooth it out. Thanks again guys.

Back