• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Serpentine on Handgonne

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonredbeard

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Would it be appropriate to mount a serpentine for the match on a handgonne. I know I said that I wanted to do this on another thread. I have been hunting for a brass rod but have found only threaded rod. I can file off the threads but am loathe to do this. Steel rod is available at any hardware store but methinks it distasteful to mount steel on brass. What do you think?
volatpluvia

Volatpluvia:

Would it be appropriate to mount a serpentine for the match on a handgonne. I know I said that I wanted to do this on another thread. I have been hunting for a brass rod but have found only threaded rod. I can file off the threads but am loathe to do this. Steel rod is available at any hardware store but methinks it distasteful to mount steel on brass. What do you think?
volatpluvia

Yes it would! The earliest known picture of a Handgonne with a Serpentine was from a book in Vienna (Codex Vindobana 3069) dated from 1411.

I own one in .77 and Gretchen is a good shooter. :grin:

So I say GO FOR IT! :)

Gr4.jpg

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Teleoceras, on ur gonne does the lever have to be so long, it looks like it is about 20+in?

Mckutzy:

Teleoceras, on ur gonne does the lever have to be so long, it looks like it is about 20+in?

Well Gretchen was built after pictures of actual Handgonnes with serpentines.

Plus the long lever does have an additional benefit in that it acts as a counter balance to the serpentine. You want the bottom to be heavier that the top. Also the longer lever is good for keeping a longer distance of the top vent from the shooter's face.

Trust me, everything does balance out in the end.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Over the years, I have seen many illustrations of levered/serpentined gonnes. The longer bottom lever has another safety factor, as its heavier weight helps to retract the match from the vent when it is not needed for ignition.

CP

Thank you teleoceras and claypipe. Now I just need to find the brass rod to make it. I wasn't quite thinking of that profile, but the picture does tell it all.
volatpluvia

Volatpluvia:

Thank you teleoceras and claypipe. Now I just need to find the brass rod to make it. I wasn't quite thinking of that profile, but the picture does tell it all.
volatpluvia

Glad to have helped. Please let us know of your progress. Good luck!

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

removed link.

sorry was other pics on the site other than hand gonnes that might not be correct for younger people to view .... sorry

Owen

Teleoceras-
i see, that sound like a good idea, i like th idea of this instead of holding the linstock in the same manner but in one package.

volatpluvia- i was looking a some drafting pics i did and steel on brass would look fine, if u blackened the metal it would contrast well with brass.

GunneyG,
I think 1/4 inch to 5/16 would do, round solid rod. I wouldn't need more than two feet for the way I want to do it. Why, you got some?
volatpluvia

I have or can easily get either. I am on a business trip right now but will be home Friday.

Okay,
I bought a piece of 1/4 inch steel rod. Yesterday and today I spent some time and shaped the rod using mapp gas and a pliers. Then I hacksawed the jaw end, heated, spread and shaped them. It is pretty plain but it works. I got lazy and poured a little 4fg (lazy in as I didn't go back in from the back stoop and get out the horn of 2fg) down the barrel, filled the flash hole and bowl with same and put the glowing hemp match in the jaws. It went boom instead of hissing as I had wanted. This is south Jersey and a residential area. Now there weren't any houses in view from the back stoop but it did panick me a bit. Loretta from the church office immediately called to find out what happened. She thought the boiler hadexploded. I swore her to secrecy, she agreed, although she will tell her inline shooting husband and he will get a good laugh out of it. So far no polizei have showed up, thank the Lord!

Anyway, I have posted a few picks of the serpentine and match at photobucket. I will post them here as soon as enough time has passed at photobucket. That wil likely be tomorrow.
God bless.
volatpluvia

Here are the pics.
First: primary shaping and some failed attempts at forging bolts.
serpentine001.jpg

serpentine002.jpg

serpentine003.jpg

serpentine004.jpg

serpentine005.jpg

volatpluvia

Back