• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Serpentine Butt Plate Tang

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyer

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have never been able to identify this old musket or fowler. It has a banana lock plate so I know it is very old but the markings on that plate cannot be read.
The oddest thing about the gun is the unusual serpentine butt plate tang. No barrel stamps readable. Also the barrel mounting screw comes from the bottom.
I have read suggestions this may be a Dutch or French feature. Gun is 59 inches overall length and about .79" caliber.

Anyone have an idea what this really is ?

Attachments

• DSCI0002.JPG
    DSCI0002.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCI0003.JPG
    DSCI0003.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCI0004.JPG
    DSCI0004.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
I'm going with Trade Gun based upon that overly bowed trigger guard and tang screw coming in from the bottom.

How wide is the breech at the tang?

Dutch seems most likely. I expect the barrel was cut back at some point. What does the sideplate look like? I’d like to see more and PM you but maybe you’re not set up for messaging.

Last edited:
Metal is rough; stock has had work done on it and then hidden under plastic coated (??). There is an inscription on the butt that I am very leery of, can't believe it because the wear just doesn't seem right "Perth Feb 1744".DSCF2709.JPG

Attachments

• DSCI0006.JPG
    DSCI0006.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCI0007.JPG
    DSCI0007.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCI0010.JPG
    DSCI0010.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCI0014.JPG
    DSCI0014.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Serpentine buttplates come from early French pattern books. The one on this gun is a very generic and plain style of that form. I also think this may be Dutch/lowland German

Realizing the plastic coat wasn't original, I decided to remove it to see what wood was underneath. I think Rich Pierce was correct about the wood being cherry unless the European makers used a similar wood (???).

No markings on the inside of the lock but wood had some major repairs and has seen some wear.

By "colonial" do you mean European or American ?

DSCI0033.JPG

Last edited:
thanks for the additional images. I'd say Rich P nailed it if that is indeed cherry, great restock of an early ca. 1700ish gun, possibly Dutch or less likely English in North America.

Latest posts

Back