• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Serious Problem with Uberti Hawken Spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klaus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Dear Gent`s,

i was facing a serious problem with a replacement mainspring for my Uberti Hawken.

both Springs looks like the same diamensiones but the replacement seems to be a bit thicker.

The Old Spring was broken last Saturday and i try to replace this with original Uberi Hawken Spring .

First attempt to install the new one, after some hours of work, to get this new spring in place ending with the result that i can not fullcock the hammer if the Lock was
fitted in the stock.
i just sanded the Spring a bit but without the required result.

Half cook position will be done easily but for full cook position i need a huge effort ( two hands).

Any idea what the problem could be ?

thx for your help

Klaus :hatsoff:

If you can cock the lock when it is out of the stock I would suspect interference with the wood in the lock mortice. Smoke the internal of the lock, install in the mortice, work the cock and then see if any of the black rubbed off on the wood. Remove the wood that is marked with the smoke. Viel gluck!

LJA said:
If you can cock the lock when it is out of the stock I would suspect interference with the wood in the lock mortice. Smoke the internal of the lock, install in the mortice, work the cock and then see if any of the black rubbed off on the wood. Remove the wood that is marked with the smoke. Viel gluck!
This would be my approach as well (lipstick will also work if you don't have a candle). If you keep forcing your spring with both hands, you may very well be buying another soon. Stop sanding your spring...

Most likely you have a wood / spring interferference issue. Do as others recommend. If the spring is too powerful then I would also taper the "arms" SLIGHTLY and polish out any file marks or grinding marks completely. If you grind keep a container of water near and cool spring often - grind a little - dunk in water often :v :wink: .

With the new mainspring being thicker than the old one and so difficult to bring to full cock in the stock, I would first look to see if the bottom of the mainspring is binding in the lock mortise. Then the side of both leaves and finally the top of the spring.

It is also possible the tail of the sear is now binding in the lock mortise and sometimes that is a bit harder to detect, if you are not looking for it specifically.

Finally, I would check to ensure the end of the spring that is near the tumbler is not stopping/catching on the tumbler. This is not very likely at all because of the stirrup, but is possible.

Gus

Hi Black Hand,

that`s a long time passing by, something has been changed in cologne, did you like to have another trip to cologne ?

@ all

thx a lot for all your help in my issue

the problem has been fixed finaly

following your advises step by step .....
remove a bit wood inside the mortice a little bit from the Mainspring ... without success

it need some time of work and was really tricky to find the
responsible for this issue...

At the Hammers full cock position the lower leg of the main spring impinges with the wooden part of the mortice where the Lockscrew passing through the Stock :doh:

I have removed some wood from this place and all be fine

And as a piece of luck the Lock from my Armi San Marco Hawken
fits the Uberti Hawken yet :v

Some Parts from the Armi San Marco are the same like the Uberti Parts.

thx again

Klaus from Cologne :thumbsup:

Glad you found the issue. Apply some finish inside the lock mortise when you have ensured enough space for spring travel. This will minimize the possibility of wood swelling from moisture and binding the spring.

Latest posts

Back