• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Serial Number Dating a T/C

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andles, I'd like to see a photo of that case colored butt plate. Never heard of those.

I have a 45 flintlock serial number 3931 and it has the spade mark on the underside of the barrel. By the number it was made likely made in 1970 or 1971 but Sharron didn't start production until 1976 so I have to wonder if the spade, or any other playing card mark, indicate Sharron made barrels.

Some of you talk about an early and later spur style. Does that apply to flintlocks as well? Mine is just like my early 1980's Renegade flintlock.

Was Sharron the only supplier of barrels before TC assumed manufacture? I seem to recall there were two but could just be a pipe dream. I have two barrels with spades. I would like to know more also.

For what it's worth... I have a .45 pre-warning flintlock barrel with a spade stamped on the bottom..... serial 6***.

Bought it used... 6-8 yrs ago... but maybe the stamp and serial number will help... eventually.

Thanks to everyone who had some input to this thread over the years.

All the records burned up at TC with the factory so ever really knowing is not good. Pre Warning is before TC made their own barrels.

Thanks.... I read the same in several of the preceding 8 pages. I got through 7 pages thinking my 4-digit barrel was made by Sharron... and then on page 6 or 7 found conflicting info... lol So...
So... (from the 9 pages here) I thought Sharron made barrels for T/C from the start... and stamped them with a spade... and then someone posted they have a barrel with the same stamp, prior to when Sharron began making barrels for T/C.
Now.... I dunno. Everyone from T/C is dead and the records have all been “lost in a fire.” ...and any attempt at creating a “serial number time-line” is almost impossible because there are only a few true dedicated gun hoarders with the original box & receipt. Many, like myself, have purchased their barrels used and can only provide a serial number and stamp under the barrel... which, I learned about in these nine pages... thanks again. (old dogs-new tricks-always learning)
One thing is for sure... this has been an interesting read.

You would think over time an employee who worked for T/C would have joined this Forum and posted. It's never happened, often wondered why.

To borrow a word from Zonie, as much as T/C rifles have been "frinkled with, I often wonder if there are any "original" T/C rifles out here?

I have a 45 flintlock serial number 3931 and it has the spade mark on the underside of the barrel. By the number it was made likely made in 1970 or 1971 but Sharron didn't start production until 1976 so I have to wonder if the spade, or any other playing card mark, indicate Sharron made barrels.

Pretty sure Hal was involved with making barrels way before before the dates in the attached link. Could have been one of several suppliers to TC but events before his eventual move to Sonora CA seemed somewhat uncomfortable for him. He was master tool and die maker and his marking tools were a wonder.

http://grrw.org/sharon-rifle-barrel-co/

Can anybody tell me what this mark is on my Renegade 183xxx?
ABB79E47-8F5D-46E5-8010-AFB96519F2EE.jpeg

As @1sgt suggested, TC started drilling the connecting hole from the nipple to the breech area in the bore from the side opposite the nipple after years of warranty claims with buggered up screws in the so called ‘clean out’ hole. If you stay at it, you can bugger up your set screw (that has been ground flush with the barrel) if you are really determined, but why? Leave it alone and enjoy shooting the gun.

Can anybody tell me what this mark is on my Renegade 183xxx?
Like has been said, it's a factory installed plug for a cross-drill.
But someone did mess with that one for sure. I can assure you the factory did not leave timing marks or centering tap marks along the barrel flat.
I wouldn't fret too much, it looks intact as "factory" except for the marks. My guess is someone was curious and marked it out before they did their own research to find out what it was, or perhaps a lesson/quiz/example of a future machinist in training.
He did a nice job, hire the man.

Welcome to the club, ;)
The lifetime membership is duty free. Sympathy and empathy is shared in our group as a common experience,,
How can we help you friend?
Welcome to the club, ;)
The lifetime membership is duty free. Sympathy and empathy is shared in our group as a common experience,,
How can we help you friend?

just looking to try and figure out how old this 50 cal cap lock TC is , with SN# as follows, K123600, other than it being low numbered, fairly, it was just sitting in a gun case for ill guess at least 25 yrs,

If you read back through the posts on this thread and others asking similar questions on tc serial numbers you may get a sense of the general age of your kit. I suspect the kit gun serial numbers are in a different sequence from factory finished guns.

I have a TC Hawken kit gun I built in the late 1970s. It has a 4 digit serial number so a gun with something in the mid 100K range is much later.

Jumping in here…I recently became the proud owner of a T/C .54 Hawken kit gun that the kit was purchased in March of 1981. It is serial number K206XXX and only has that and the markings below on the barrel. No warning and no “Hawken” name on it. It also has the tang sight screw. Based on some of the other comments here, I am thinking it could be older and just had a long shelf life before being purchased.

‘Poet

Attachments

• EDA6B329-5FC8-4BC6-B64E-487FA3AC9C26.jpeg
    EDA6B329-5FC8-4BC6-B64E-487FA3AC9C26.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I also have a .50 Renegade with serial# 354XXX. It has the warning and says “Renegade” on it. I am not the original owner, but would make a guess it may be from around 1993-94ish.

Attachments

• 94D0AB1B-43A0-4C97-9753-C68E41418705.jpeg
    94D0AB1B-43A0-4C97-9753-C68E41418705.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 28C4D803-F00C-484B-B6FD-1905CA67A2D5.jpeg
    28C4D803-F00C-484B-B6FD-1905CA67A2D5.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 40
Sort of late jumping in here on this thread, great info guys. I recently was given a T/C Hawken .45 Caliber Flintlock, shoots well no issues. Curious on when it was built. I would say its in really nice condition with no nics, scratches or cracks. Definitely a keeper with the stable of my other long guns. Went thru it, inspecting and cleaning. The bore scope showed very good rifling, no rust, just a bit dirty that a good cleaning took care of. Serial number is K105X7. I have no history on it at all. With the prefix being "K", based on what is said in this thread, would mean its a kit gun with a fairly low number. Tell ya who ever built it did an excellent job doing so. About 4" forward from the plug is a "K" stamped on the underside of the barrel. Also on underside of the stock where the barrel is seated on, is also a "K" etched in the stock. No other markings are found.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 11.48.24 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 11.48.35 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 11.48.45 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 11.48.54 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 12.02.35 AM.png

Back