• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

September Squirrel count:

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20210918_200416.jpg

Not sure if I'll go next weekend before the month's over yet or not. But looks like september has treated me pretty well so far...am considering casting some balls for if i do any more hunting. Not something i do very often, but i figure since i have a lead pot, and ladle, and lead, why give hornady and speer my business?

View attachment 94803

Not sure if I'll go next weekend before the month's over yet or not. But looks like september has treated me pretty well so far...am considering casting some balls for if i do any more hunting. Not something i do very often, but i figure since i have a lead pot, and ladle, and lead, why give hornady and speer my business?
Personally, I prefer head shots. But, I see the challenge in shooting the tails right off of em. 😆🤣...........They might make more "lively" fishing lures this way.

So far I'm up to one squirrel but that was with an unmentionable. I usually just grab the .22 if I'm going to head out for an evening hun. Don't fell like cleaning the flintlock at 830 at night.

That said I'm heading out the door shortly with the .32.

I'm waiting for the weather to cool off and the mosquitoes to dissipate. Would also prefer the leaves to start falling so I can see the squirrels better. They seem to be in the tops of the hickories and oaks getting and eating nuts. I have yet to see on on the ground or lower in the trees. I like to limit my shots to 30 yards with my .32 flinter.

I'm waiting for the weather to cool off and the mosquitoes to dissipate. Would also prefer the leaves to start falling so I can see the squirrels better. They seem to be in the tops of the hickories and oaks getting and eating nuts. I have yet to see on on the ground or lower in the trees. I like to limit my shots to 30 yards with my .32 flinter.

All these were under 20yds, with the majority under 10 yds. My secret to pistol shooting is using my feet: i make sure I get so close that i can't miss. Sometimes takes a little improvising. Especially when i get spotted. You'd be surprised how many sitters I've killed by suddenly acting like im gathering pine cones and letting the squirrel think I don't know its there, and then angling around to get the tree trunk behind its head to sink the ball after the shot; all the while he thinks im passing him by unaware of his presence.

Its tough for you eastern hunters with the leaves this time of the year. I know because I grew up in southern Indiana. I used to stare up in the hickory trees for hours listening to them cutting and watching limbs bounce and waiting to catch that one glimpse i needed for a quick shot. I used to sit in class during high school with a sore neck from staring hours up in the trees over the weekend.

Here's something that works though, get underneath the trunk and look straight up, and rub the edges of two quarters together and scratch the bark. It occasionally riles one up enough to come down ready to see whether he needs to chase you off or not. I can't help you with the mosquitoes though. I sat in tree stands down there during early archery season with clouds of mosquitoes thick enough to breath in.

Sat for over an hour last night, not one squirrel. Saw six deer, a nice buck was in the group. Mosquitos were bad. Will have to bring the thermacell next time, or just wait until it cools off.

Back