• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

September Online Postal Match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s not a bad idea - I don’t shoot pistol so doesn’t really matter to me. I would like to hear from other pistol shooters whether they prefer 15 yds. If I was shooting a pistol I would prefer 15 yds over 25!

We’re doing this for enjoyment - let’s hear from other pistol shooters and if majority want to shoot at 15 yds I am okay with it - just want everyone to shoot it the same way.

15 yards for pistol and 25 yards for rifle seems like a good idea to me. It would be nice to see the pistol targets with the same info we are putting on the rifle targets. It would give other folks some insight on the pistols and loads other folks are using, just like the rifles.

.40 Caliber Poor Boy Flintlock
35 grain of FFF
Patched round ball .390-cast from Lee mold
Pillow Tick patch
006.jpg

Shot the mushrooms and they were challenging!

I'm going to blame part of the problem to me just getting over Covid and feeling a bit weak! Have to have some type of excuse!

Sept 2022 Completed Target.jpg

This is the 2nd tie trying to post. Evidently I am doing something wrong. This seems correct. I shot this on the 23rd. I used my Early Lancaster .54 cal, 44" Colerain swamped bbl. I use a .530 rb, wrapped in a ,015 cotton patch, over 70 grains of FFg Goex black powder set off with approximately 15 grains of FFFFg Goex.
My shoulder rehab has been going well and I hope to get out this mid Oct in the PA early ML doe only season. I hope this one get up.

20220921_165538.jpg

Enjoyed this target with my new(ish) Kibler Colonial 58
80gr old 5fa Goex
.562 Ideal RB mould
Wheel-Weight
.018 pillow
Balli/H2o
This combination loads extremely easy, not accurate enough for 100yrds(7"+/-)
But load does well enough close-in.20220928_201806.jpg
(Was already some holes on yellow poster board)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the 2nd tie trying to post. Evidently I am doing something wrong. This seems correct. I shot this on the 23rd. I used my Early Lancaster .54 cal, 44" Colerain swamped bbl. I use a .530 rb, wrapped in a ,015 cotton patch, over 70 grains of FFg Goex black powder set off with approximately 15 grains of FFFFg Goex.
My shoulder rehab has been going well and I hope to get out this mid Oct in the PA early ML doe only season. I hope this one get up.

View attachment 165157
Nicely done!

Enjoyed this target with my new(ish) Kibler Colonial 58
80gr old 5fa Goex
.562 Ideal RB mould
Wheel-Weight
.018 pillow
Balli/H2o
This combination loads extremely easy, not accurate enough for 100yrds(7"+/-)
But load does well enough close-in.View attachment 165158
(Was already some holes on yellow poster board)
Well that is a great target you shot there! I'm curious about your powder - 5A GOEX? Never heard of this one before.

5fa is an unglazed powder with mixed granulation of 2fff 3fff and 4ffff.
The "g" of powder means glazed or graphite.
It's NOT Olde Eynsford or Swiss, but it shoots well enough for a Flintlock inside of 100 yards...

Back