September 2021 Postal Match

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

MSmith

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Marc, I thought about shooting the 10 point circles, but after one shot (on two separate targets), I decided to play it safe and go for the center.
I considered playing it safe too. But I just couldn’t do it. I was in the mood for a challenge, took it and failed. Oh well, Mama said there’d be days like this. 😄

The good news is, all but one would have been a kill shot. And 4 would have still been a respectable shot.

Cherrybow

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This was fun! I shot at this one in front of a father and son, who are both Marines, that allow me to hunt on their land. The son commented that he has not even watched a traditional muzzleloader get loaded. First shot went a little low, but sparked their interest. They both wanted to shoot, so the next two loads were for them to shoot a muzzleloader for the first time. They both hit within 3” of their bull ( standing/off hand) and loved shooting it. My next two shots were in the red and I got a little cocky and tried for the small dot at the top. One in the blue and my last one was too high to be on paper….Good time had by all! I think my audience will be in the market for a traditional muzzleloader soon.
I used the same self-made .54 percussion half stock as last month with 70 gr. ffg, .530 ball with .015 pillow ticking.

Attachments

Fly103

40 Cal
Reaction score
Glad to see everyone enjoying this months target! The weather has been crap here in kansas to the point im starting to think i wont get to shoot this month!

Chris

Fly103

40 Cal
Reaction score
I got home from work today under sunny skies and somewhat reasonable 20mph east winds so I tossed ol' Betsy in the truck along with my horn and shootin' pouch and headed for the range. 20 minutes later I pulled into the drive and grabbed my pouch, rifle and target!?!?! Wait my target!! I forgot my target! 30 minutes til sunset and I dont have a target! Panic! What to do! Then I had an aha! moment! I hadnt taken the mail inside since i picked it up after work!

Sure enough there was an unopened target there! Quickly grabbing it, a blank piece of paper and a sharpie I went to work tracing away, a few minutes later I had a perfect copy! Finally time to go shoot!

I hung my target on the 25yd board and fired my first 2 shots at a bowling pin about 10 yds farther out, both missed! Not a good start! With about 15 minutes of light left I set about the task at hand, knowing there were some dang good scores posted here already i figured my only chance was to go for broke. I came close! So close! But in shooting matches close just doesnt get it done. This was definitely a fun target to shoot at and I think even learned a few things about impoving my technique in the process of trying to hit those little bulls!

Chris

Attachments

Fly103

40 Cal
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,
Here are the results of the September Match. Good shooting Everyone!

1. RanchRoper 50pts- Frontier 50cal, 50g 777, .015 patch, .490 ball
1. Winchester97 50pts- Kibler SMR .36, 35g fffg, .350 Lee Ball, .020 patch, olive oil

2. Maven 45pts- .50 Lyman GPR percussion, .4885 ball, .018 Pillow Ticking
2. 11th Corps 45 pts- .40 poor boy flintlock, .390 ball, pt patch, liquid wrench

3. Nessmuk 40pts- .45 cal flint parts rifle, 90gr 3f goex

4. Flinter 1977 35pts- .54 TC New Englander, .530 ball, spit lube, 90g 2f graffs
4. PK 35pts- LePage .36 Percussion, .350 ball, 15g Olde E 3f, .010 patch

5. Silky 921 30pts- .36, 35g 3f, .018 patch
5. Fly103 30pts- .50 Pedersoli Penn Flintlock, .490 ball, 60gr 2f Olde E, .010 patch, Mr Flintlock Lube

6. MSmith- .50 TC renegade, .495 selfcast ball, .015 patch w/ MooseMilk, 40g Olde E 3f

I hope everyone is staying safe, healthy, and enjoying carving their pumpkins for the October match.

Chris

deerstalkert

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
well September was a month that wasn't for me. spent most of it in hospital with covid viral pneumonia.
didn't even know what the target was until now.
got a new to me caplock i need to try out as soon as i can stay off the o2 for a few minutes.
going to print this months target now.

Latest posts