• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Seneca or other .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Seneca in .36
Would really like the same in .45
Did they or anyone else make a .45 cal. The same Hawken style in the Seneca size?

Yes there are 45 cal Senecas. IIRC 45 was the limit for the barrel diameter.

Most Senecas as well as Cherokees that you see for sale are 45cal

Had a nice seneca .36cal many moon ago for the wife, found a douglas barrel in .45 same width flat to flat, and was a little longer so got a correct breechplug and had it fitted , added sights , had 2 rifles in one then !

There's at least two .45 cal barrels F/S on E-Bay, a 24" Cherokee bbl @ $100, and a 27" Seneca @ $200

Both will drop into your Seneca stock, but the Cherokee barrel may/may not need a little reworking due to it's RR thimble positions vs the Seneca thimble positions.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Thompson-Center-Arms-Vintage-Hunting-Black-Powder/73979/bn_1851551
I have a .36 and a .45 Seneca, and prefer the longer barrels more than the shorter barrel of the .45 Cherokee I once had - but, YMMV.

It does seem that any decent Seneca is north of $400 these days. I'm not sure that Green Mtn even makes a barrel for them anymore. You might try posting a want ad on this forum.

I bought a .45 Seneca in the late early 70's and shot it for years. I was looking though EBay several years ago and found a .36 barrel there for less than $100. There are still good deals out there. Bill

Back