• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Send wood for company to make a rifle stock...?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBQPitts

32 Cal
Reaction score
i live in Texas and am interested in seeing if anyone knows of any companies who you can send a piece of timber to so they can make a flintlock rifle stock from it. Anyone have any ideas..?

Companies? No. Some custom stock makers? Probably.

Green fresh cut lumber? Not a chance. They would all want an aged and dried piece so it won't warp and crack when worked. And if it's not a typical wood maybe none. You'd also have to get on a 18 to 24 month list and send the rifle in for fitting; hopefully just before they were ready to start.

Yeah I knew it would have to dry for a minimum of a year depending on the thickness. I have a lot of Bois D’arc trees in my yard and I know they have and still are used to make bows with and I thought it would make a beautiful and very durable gun stock. As I don’t have the tools to do it myself I didn’t know if anyone might know of a company that would make it for me.

Stumpkiller's right ... It would need to be cured wood, and it would need to be a type they're used to working. If it was me, I'd contact Tennessee Valley Manufacturing and ask them. You might also contact Track Of The Wolf and ask. They work with a lot of riflesmiths and might know somebody who will work with you.

I appreciate the suggestions. I bet it would cost a mint to send bois darc through the mail lol

i live in Texas and am interested in seeing if anyone knows of any companies who you can send a piece of timber to so they can make a flintlock rifle stock from it. Anyone have any ideas..?

I THINK Jim Chambers has someone who can do it. Their contact info is in this link:
http://www.flintlocks.com/order.htm

However, Pecatonica in Rockford, IL advertises they will carve your wood into a full stock for $ 100.00.
http://longrifles-pr.com/services.shtml

Hope this helps,

Gus

I appreciate the suggestions. I bet it would cost a mint to send bois darc through the mail lol
It's done all the time, but the folks who ship what are essentially big "pieces of trees" around to be custom shaped by hand into longrifle stocks have already left bargain hunters waayyyy behind in the rear view mirror of life.
That said however,I absolutely understand the desire to have a stock made out of a tree from your own property. From an "heirloom standpoint", that would really be awesome. Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Well I've been to Dunlap Woodcrafts in Virginia. They make replacement stocks for Pedersoli and Japanese Bess 2nd Models. I asked about other stocks such as replacing the stock on an India origin musket, because if the cost for that stock was the same as the cost for the replacement Pedersoli stock, the price would have still been under $1000 for the whole musket when done.

Well they will do a stock for me, and I could bring my original stock to them for copying into different wood, and in fact IF I wanted to alter any musket stock, say I wanted to change the lock mortise to give more wood to fit an older style "banana" Bess lock, that could be done as well.

I'd simply have to buy a minimum order of stocks, which (iirc) was 20 stocks. :confused: So at the time I asked I would've needed to lay out $5300 plus tax. For one stock, and 19 more to sell on my own.

That was several years ago, and Dunlap Woodcrafts may have what you need already. It doesn't hurt to call them and ask. http://dunlapwoodcrafts.com/gunstocks

LD

Yeah I knew it would have to dry for a minimum of a year depending on the wood fhickness. I have a lot of Bois D’arc trees in my yard and I know they have and still are used to make bows with and I thought it would make a beautiful and very durable gun stock. As I don’t have the tools to do it myself I didn’t know if anyone might know of a company that would make it for me.
Try three or four years of drying and the end grain has to be painted or sealed to prevent checking cracks developing and ruining the blank.

Bois d'Arc is a very dense wood that resists splitting. As such it does make very good bows as the name, wood for bows, implies and fence posts as it is very resistant to rotting. It is also very difficult to carve. One of the members of my Gun Club has a lot of Osage Orange (Bois d'Arc) trees on his property. He makes bows and would not consider using that wood for a gun stock. The gun makers in our club agree.

One of the members of my Gun Club has a lot of Osage Orange (Bois d'Arc) trees on his property. He makes bows and would not consider using that wood for a gun stock. The gun makers in our club agree.

Thanks Mike, that's interesting information. :) I have a dried piece of Osage Orange heartwood a person gave me thinking it would make a good knife handle.

LD

Club members have made knife scales and tomahawk shafts from Osage orange.

The hawk handle was more than a bit difficult to properly shape. First it was difficult to get it turned round. Well, not round but really oval. The tools became dull very quickly. More time was spent sharpening the turning tools than getting the wood to shape. Then handling the raw wood made hands orange. It was a nice hawk handle in the end.

Last edited:
Was it Jim Kibler that will use your wood for a rifle (and deduct?) for the cost? Saw that somewhere. I have been thinking of "acquiring" and sizable piece of AZ black walnut for said purpose. Fine be stiff for rifle size piece but maybe a pistol?

Bois'darc or Osage Orange is a heavy wood so it would add a lot of unnecessary weight to a gunstock.

Dried to 12% moisture it weighs 54 pounds per cubic foot. For comparison, sugar maple weighs 44 lbs/cubic foot, red maple weighs 38 lbs/cubic foot and walnut weighs 39 lbs/cubic foot.

If you have Osage orange trees large enough to make a gunstock, you could sell it for bow making and make more than enough profit to buy a suitable wood. Osage is school bus yellow when working it but eventually turns a coffee brown.

I have cut more osage trees than I can remember to make bows, all osage logs have a surprise inside, seldom a good one good, definitely not gun stock wood. Almost all osage logs have wind shakes in them which limit the clear, usable wood for lumber.

Yep I have cut tons of it, literally.

bridg eosage loading butt.jpg

I have cut more osage trees than I can remember to make bows, all osage logs have a surprise inside, seldom a good one good, definitely not gun stock wood. Almost all osage logs have wind shakes in them which limit the clear, usable wood for lumber.

Yep I have cut tons of it, literally.

View attachment 355

I grew up with Osage Orange all about me and made a bow of it that looked good but was a functional disaster; still, it got me an award in high school shop class. "Windshake"?

Back