• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sell me on the .40

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! I have a line on a beautiful .40 rifle that I can buy. Sell me on the caliber! The smallest caliber I have in the stable right now is a .50 My pops thinks another flintlock is redundant but what does he know! lol

The .40 is my most recent build and I've been delighted with it. It offers excellent accuracy, mild recoil and plenty of punch for the size of the ball. I initially struggled to rationalize why I needed a .40 since its too small for legal deer hunting here. I solved the dilemma by making it with interchangeable barrels the second being a .50.

1603455836982.png

Water bottle at 50 yards.

I use my 40 for almost exclusively for squirrel hunting(and the occasional fox or coyote encountered), and fun/practice shooting. It’s as small a bore in a rifle as I personally prefer that gives shooting characteristics in terms of ease of loading, minimal swabbing, cleaning, and shooting/ballistic performance that doesn’t deviate much from my larger bores.
870E8423-4FC9-464E-9D99-8CCA02FA816D.jpeg0172CC7F-844B-49B3-8629-11DF2C707EA2.jpeg733519B3-5506-4B9B-8A69-967626209A7F.jpeg

It was THE caliber for paper punching a while back (maybe still is?) by some of the top shooters. For metal gongs and such the .45 is better. Hunting squirrels and such I like a .36. Most states will not allow it for deer so the choice is up to what you are going to use it for :dunno:.

I have a line on a beautiful .40 rifle that I can buy. Sell me on the caliber!

Well it's an "odd" caliber, at least as far as factory rifles go..., you find .54, .50, .45, .36 and .32..... but .40? Which is why I liked it, and they tend to be accurate enough to take a squirrel in the head, and there is enough umph for deer, according to many states. PLUS they tend to be very flat shooting so as mentioned folks that shoot paper like them too.

An online shooter sent me a batch of custom conical for the .40 so I'm very well set for deer or coyotes!

LD

I can't sell you on a 40. I don't have one nor seen one.
But if the gun is reasonable then it will hold its value if not appreciate.
So if you buy and love it you win.
If you buy it and don't love it you can sell it without loss and you have learnt something. Again you win.

Personally I want a 40 but really hard to justify when you have a 45.

I use my 40 for almost exclusively for squirrel hunting(and the occasional fox or coyote encountered), and fun/practice shooting. It’s as small a bore in a rifle as I personally prefer that gives shooting characteristics in terms of ease of loading, minimal swabbing, cleaning, and shooting/ballistic performance that doesn’t deviate much from my larger bores.
View attachment 47510View attachment 47511View attachment 47512
those groups have bragging rights.

don't worry ... be happy ... and don't feel that you have to "justify" a purchase ... if the money is available (i.e. disposable income - you're not shorting the rent check), why do you have to explain yourself other than, it is a really fine rifle, and i wanted it, so i bought it.

We're all grown ups here - don't have to "mother may i" any more.

A lot of guys like the idea of tbe .40 caliber. I however am not one of those people. Its not legal for deer in Pa, and IMO its too much for squirrels, although Ill surely be called out for that one. So for me, its just not justifiable to own. I wont buy a muzzle loader that I will not hunt with, and just target shooting doesnt swing it for me.

A lot of guys like the idea of tbe .40 caliber. I however am not one of those people. Its not legal for deer in Pa, and IMO its too much for squirrels, although Ill surely be called out for that one. So for me, its just not justifiable to own. I wont buy a muzzle loader that I will not hunt with, and just target shooting doesnt swing it for me.
Before they changed the law I used to shoot squirrels with my 50 cal. TC.

The .40 is my most recent build and I've been delighted with it. It offers excellent accuracy, mild recoil and plenty of punch for the size of the ball. I initially struggled to rationalize why I needed a .40 since its too small for legal deer hunting here. I solved the dilemma by making it with interchangeable barrels the second being a .50.

View attachment 47506

Water bottle at 50 yards.

Great photo! Wow. Nice rig!

Back