• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seeking info on deer skin leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to this year's deer season and am close to having my .50 cal Haines load worked out. Anyhow, I don't want to waste the hide and am interested in getting leather from the hide. Do any of you know of a place (tannery?) that does a good job with this? Or do you do it yourself with good results? (I'd like to inform myself before potentially standing over the deer, thus the early inquiry.) Any productive info would be greatly appreciated.

What do you want to do with the leather. Brain tanning takes about three days, 2-3 hours on the first,1 hour or so on the second,4-8 hours on the third. Alum tanning takes about a week looks like brain tan but not as soft. lot less work inferior outcome. yes you could do it your self,time consuming but no great skill required.

Well, the first thing you need to do is put away your knife after the initial cuts - and peel the hide off using knife as little as possible - score up the hide and you won't get much leather -

Deerskins to Buckskins is a great video that will take you through the steps of wet scraping a hide to smoking it and the end product is rewarding

thanks for the info, guys; I'll check into that video...always helps to see it vice reading only. Thanks for the google searches also, but I had done that before posting...there are numerous places, and perhaps my posted question was not as clear as it should have been...I was wondering if you used a specific place such as a tannery or deer processor, who did you have good experience with and get a good product back. As for tenngun's question what I intend to do with the leather... make ball/shot pouches, once I get enough, perhaps a shirt?...so I would like the leather soft.

It will take you 3or4 skins to make a shirt.
As to a tannery I've never used one.If they do chrome salt tanning you can get a soft skin,but over the years there has been a move on reenactors part to decrease modern chrome skins.
I have never done bark tanning,although it was common in the old days. Alum tan was only found near alum sorces,I don't know how much was moved around.
Please dont thing I'm being snoby.Istarted out with yellow chrome skins,and my regular winter coats are frontier inspired yellow deer skin.

Back