• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Second range session with the Kibler Colonial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHUNTER60

40 Cal
Reaction score
Well, I still got a ways to go, but I'm moving in the right direction. Went yesterday to the range and fired 30 shots (still on the original flint; now up to 45 shots). Had three misfires in the 30 -- all were flashes in the pan. I know two of them were from insufficient priming, as I was experimenting with how little amount of powder I could place in the pan and still get ignition. Turns out one push on my primer flask is not enough.

To summarize, my 50 yard shots are tightening up. I have enough shots low on paper to start bringing down the front sight, which I did to some degree yesterday.

First group: 50 yards, 70-grains FFFg, .530 ball, .018 pillow ticking, TOTW mink oil lube

1618617036801.png

This group is with 90 grains; everything else the same as above
1618617401434.png

This target shows a three shot group (top) after filing the front sight down a bit with 90 grains from a fouled barrel.
The Bottom two shots are also 90 grain, but from a clean barrel (different POI between clean and fouled barrel)

1618617797648.png

Below is a group shot with a 50-gain load at 50 yards

1618618068410.png

I decided to go ahead and try to stretch her out a little bit to max hunting distances.
Below is a five shot, 90-grain group at 85 yards. Rather disappointing, I must say!

1618618322191.png

I'm gonna try some different patch thickness next week, and also try some FFg Goex to see if it makes a difference. Also, I'm going to take a little more off the front sight. I'd like for my 50 yard balls to hit about an inch high.

Any suggestions?

Go slow on your sight filing and remember that if you take too much off, a 6 o'clock hold will always be an option. Which is sorta what you are going for with an inch high at 50. Forget traditional ballistics regarding longer and shorter ranges. Only way to know with blackpowder is to shoot it repeatedly and in several types of weather and temp to make sure it will hit where you think it will.

I’m guessing you’ll find success with the ffg. Mine likes 80 of GOEX.
Don‘t you just love a fine lock!

What type rifling do you have?

My radius groove .54 Kibler seems to prefer a .53 ball with a .20” beeswax/olive oil lubed denim patch, and the groups didn’t start to tighten up until about 85+gr of FFg. (I’ve always used FFg). My hunting load is 105gr of FFg and shoots a softball sized group zeroed at 80 yards. Easily minute of deer, and I have taken a doe with it at 50 yards.

It looks like your 85 yard group is about twice the size of my 80 yard group using my hunting load. Maybe try going up in charge weight in 5gr increments to see if it tightens up before switching patch/ball combinations? I can’t even fit a .535 ball down the bore of my barrel without a very thin patch. My radius grooved barrel prefers a smaller ball and thicker patch combination. It also seems to me that the 1-66” twist likes heavier charges. YMMV.
-Jake

What type rifling do you have?

My radius groove .54 Kibler seems to prefer a .53 ball with a .20” beeswax/olive oil lubed denim patch, and the groups didn’t start to tighten up until about 85+gr of FFg. (I’ve always used FFg). My hunting load is 105gr of FFg and shoots a softball sized group zeroed at 80 yards. Easily minute of deer, and I have taken a doe with it at 50 yards.

It looks like your 85 yard group is about twice the size of my 80 yard group using my hunting load. Maybe try going up in charge weight in 5gr increments to see if it tightens up before switching patch/ball combinations? I can’t even fit a .535 ball down the bore of my barrel without a very thin patch. My radius grooved barrel prefers a smaller ball and thicker patch combination. It also seems to me that the 1-66” twist likes heavier charges. YMMV.
-Jake

I have since had a third range session where I shot nothing but FFg (Posted elsewhere under the title "Think I'm about there." Below is a 50 yard target from that session using 90 grains of GOEX FFg, .530 ball, .018 pillow ticking, and lubed with TOTW mink oil:

1618942305591.png

I am out of town until next week, when I'll go back and try her again at 75-100 yards with the 2F. I expect they will group better.

Latest posts

Back