• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Second range session with Duplex loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHUNTER60

40 Cal
Reaction score
As I wrote in my post on this subject, I'm getting low on true black powder, and have started experimenting with duplex loads (small amount of real black under a heavier charge of Triple 7, BP substitute) as a means of stretching my remaining BP supplies.

Last week I tried loads using 10 grains of Schuetzen 3f under 80 grains of 777 in my Kibler Colonial flintlock. My priming powder was, as always, Goex 4f. It actually shot pretty well, and I had no misfires, however ignition was noticeably slower than loads with real black. Thinking that maybe 10 grains of true black might not be enough, I said I would return to the range this week and try 15 grains of the 3f under the fake stuff. That is just what I did yesterday.

The results were, well..... inconsistent! I wasted the first five shots chasing zero, because someone (who shall remain nameless), when trying to fine tune my windage by a couple of inches, beat the front blade the wrong direction). :doh: When I finally got it back to close (not perfect) zero, I had shot half my pre-measured loads. Then I shot this five-shot group at 80 yards:

1645201137055.png

The high flyer in the group was caused by what I would classify as a true hang-fire, as it seemed that I had time to smoke a cigarette and drink a cup of coffee between pulling the trigger and going boom! The other four shots varied in ignition time -- from almost instantaneous, to a very annoying delay!

So, I conclude that duplex loads are a way to stretch my existing powder supplies; that accuracy is on par with true black powder; That ignition is definitely slower than true black; that 15 grains of 3f did nothing to increase ignition time over using 10 grains; and that I wish-to-heck that the folks who bought Goex would hurry up and get their product on the market!!!!:ghostly:

This is VERY common in BP cartridge and/or Schuetzen rifle shooting and there’s no reason why it cannot be applied to flintlocks and earlier arms!
Specifically those where you need the real black powder to provide ‘reliable and positive’ ignition.

A retired friend of mine, who worked for the US Parks Department as a curator and specialized in firearms, does this all the time. As he is retired and on a budget and he can get Pyrodex for ~ 1/2 the cost of real black powdah.

Many of the new rifles that shoot "pellets" of powder have a black powder "primer" in the center of the pellets. So duplex loads are not really any different.

There's no need to run duplex. Especially WANO powder, pure crud.
Load your T7, pick, prime with 4f or NULL and shoot.
There is a short video on my YouTube page of a friend doing this. He did this cause so many were coming up with excuses why it would not work.
Clean and consistent win the day.

Maybe you need more than 15 grains. Or you could order the real stuff on-line.

I've been shooting Schuetzen exclusively for over ten years without any problems or complaints. Pretty sure that's not the problem.

Back