• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seated ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Son

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Old feller showed me once when ya ram the ball home,take your rod pull up a tad and lightly toss back down,if it bounces good your ball is well seated..

What say ye?

No. Bouncing has nothing to do with it. Just seat firmly and tap the rod down a time or two if you like.

Nope...bouncing the rammer will have a tendency to deform the ball and does not put the same amount of compression on the powder charge every time. Just push the ball down till it stops then try and use the same amount of pressure each time to fully seat it. Consistency is the name of the game for accuracy.

Old timers sure can come up with some doosies.

Course, being an old timer myself I have a bunch of them but all of the other old timers already know them and will warn younger whipper-snappers before they can actually go out and try them. :rotf:

No.It decorms the ball as said before and all the pro shooters I've ever seen never bounced a rod.

Have seen Shooters bounce the Rod until it bounced three times.One of the claims is to pack the Powder tight in a Percussion.....

Yeah, a ramrod will bounce off a well seated ball. As others have said, it probably deforms the ball in the process.

A mark on the ramrod serves the same purpose without the bouncing.

The best method ever devised for making sure that your ball is seated properly is to load your rifle, when it has a clean bore, with the load that you use. Use good hand pressure to be sure that the ball is all the way down on your powder. This is no problem with a clean barrel. then mark your ramrod right at the muzzle. I use a sharp pencil to make a mark at the muzzle and then 3 corner file to make a small groove where the pencil mark is. This is a permanent mark that will not fade away. Then when you load, just make sure that the mark is even with your muzzle and you will know that your ball is properly seated.

Some bounce, some don't bounce. Some winners bounce, some don't. Some losers bounce, some don't. Bounce or no bounce, the key to consistent shooting is to bounce consistently or do not ever bounce.
Within safety bounds, do yer own thang, but do it consistently. :grin:

I like to use some bounce, but not tossed. Like some of the others have suggested, mark your ramrod. I then raise the rod about 6", and let it fall back onto the ball. It will bounce, if properly seated. Its also a good idea to mark your rod to show an unloaded condition. :stir: Robin

Lead Slinger said:
Have seen Shooters bounce the Rod until it bounced three times.One of the claims is to pack the Powder tight in a Percussion.....

Some shooters have their own rituals before shooting that can be quite amusing and fascinating to watch. If those actions put the shooter in the right frame of mind before shooting, there is nothing wrong with that. Just do whatever you do the same way each time.

Rifleman1776 said:
Some bounce, some don't bounce. Some winners bounce, some don't. Some losers bounce, some don't. Bounce or no bounce, the key to consistent shooting is to bounce consistently or do not ever bounce.
Within safety bounds, do yer own thang, but do it consistently. :grin:
Ill second that!! :thumbsup:

Yea that's what i meant drop the rod easily.Headed up to the ranch,my buddy has a black bear up there bothering things,we're gonna shoot eem in the butt with my black Jukar :grin:

Remember folks, you only need to raise the ramrod an inch or two to get a bounce. We do this our kids at the shoot I've mentioned...just a small drop will tell you if the ball is seated. There's no need to batter the ball face.

+1 for groove.

Almost necessary when checking load in poor light, like an enclosed deer blind.

Back