• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

seasoned my cast iron pot today,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
She is a # 12 wash pot. i just picked this up from a fellow flintlock shooter and SC man known on here as "mulebrain" . the pot came from our state, the 2 gate marks indicate it was made before 1899, and i really don't think it was ever used, oh but it will be! i can see a pot of new years day chicken and rice and smoked sausage in it's future,,,,,,,,,,,
wp1.jpg
wp2.jpg
wp3.jpg
wp4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a good 'un! Cast iron the vintage stuff is getting spendy. I mean, moreso than it already was. Maybe have to keep it chained down in camp to keep it from getting legs. I'm not kidding, some of that stuff costs as much as a good used car now.

I sure hate to be "that guy", but the seasoning temps don't look they are getting hot enough. The reason I say that is because from the pics it appears some areas have visible areas of underlying iron & hints of reddish (rust). Cast iron will be absolutely coal black when seasoned, a carbonized layer of fats built up over several coats.

Back