• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seargent York

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished watching the shooting match in the 1941 movie Seargent York. The best portrayal of a rifle match in any movie I can think of. And all the guns are original -- this movie was made 20 years before the Civil War Centennial and the craze of reproductions. Remarkable stuff.

Definitely a great movie! I liked the way Gary Cooper (er, I mean Alvin York) gobbles to make the turkey pop back up :haha:

That scene along with them chasing the fox were my favorite parts in that movie.

Don

Did you notice how long the ramrods were?

I would think they would get broken if they stuck out that much.

Foster From Flint

I like the extra length on a ramrod it makes it a little easier to pull the ramrod out of the thimbles. I have a lyman GPR and a Pedersoli Rocky Mt Hawken. I made longer ramrods for both of them that extend about 2 inches past the muzzle. I think that was a common practice by the old timers and to me it looks good. My folks came from the mountains in North Carolina and I enjoy watching movies that portrayed life in the hills like Sgt York does.

I really can't stand the look of the ramrod sticking out farther than the barrel. I also don't like the guns with the ramrod going all the way into the butt so it is only abut 1/2 way up the barrel. I like it when the ramrod is just about flush with the barrel.

Great movie. I've gotten to spend some time with Alvin's son Andy and he told some interesting things about the making of it.

Are you going to be at Louisa and Pritchard? I'm supposed to be going with a friend.

About the only thing better than that scene in the movie is going to the Alvin York shooting match and competing.

I like the ramrods to be long enough that you can easily pull them out when you have patch lube on your hands and cannot get a good grip when they are even with the end of the barrel. It always seems like patch lube is impossible to wipe off of your hands when you are out shooting....................watch yer top knot............

I'm planning on going to Pritchard. The wife ain't too keen on me going two days in a row. I've already got a shoot this Saturday and one the weekend after Pritchard. I've never shot at the one at Tim's (Louisa). They usually have a good time over there. Maybe one of these days.

KanawhaRanger said:
Great movie. I've gotten to spend some time with Alvin's son Andy and he told some interesting things about the making of it.

Can you share any with us?

Foster From Flint

It's been several years and I can't remember much, but one thing he told me was about when Alvin shut the movie down for nearly two weeks because he caught Gary Cooper smoking on the set. He raised quite a row about it. The way Andy talked, Alvin thought very highly of Gary, but didn't like smoking at all. He had a good bit of control over how things went so he closed her down. He cooled down, they made up, and when all was said and done one of the best movies ever was in the can.

Every year that I go to the York shoot I make a point to look Andy up and visit for a little while. Summer before last, when my wife and I were on our 25th anniversary trip, we swung through Pall Mall so she could meet him. We stopped at his garage and jawed awhile. My wife really enjoyed it. This time we heard some more recent adventures. Then at last year's shoot I got the updates. He's a Tennessee treasure.

love the whole movie
dont mind rammers being out a bit myself
one i got cant go all the way in as it hit the front lock bolt

I had a ramrod that stuck out about 3" from the front of the muzzles on my SxS shotgun. Snapped it off clean at the first thimble when I stumbled in some brush. Don't use them "longer" any more. When loading they stick out enough to allow a good grip, and when cleaning the addition of the jag extends them enough to again allow a good grip.
:grin:
LD

I have an interesting story about that match. You must know that I live in Overton County Tennessee not far from Pall Mall where Sgt York lived. When I was just a little boy my Great Grand-dad saw me shooting my Daisy BB gun and he said "Jim, the know the best shot I ever saw? Saw ol Alvin York win a beef one time at a shooting match. Won the whole cow!......Now I was seven years old. I had no idea who Alvin York was. Years later I was watching the movie when it HIT me. MY GREAT GRANDPA WAS THERE! I later asked my dad what grandpa was doing in Fentress county. He said he was up there logging. He also said grandpa could never resist a good shooting match. Guess he was beat by Alvin York. JB

Yeah, Andy said the directors tweaked the story in a few places to "liven" it up a bit. If I remember right, he said the lightning strike was one of them.

Did you ever notice the rock hitting the mule right before it got up? That was his cue. Look close and you'll see it. 1941 Special Effects.

Back