• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scudder and Park

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varcher

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but I was given an old muzzleloader and would like to know how old. The lock says "Scudder and Park Warranted" It looks like a Hawkins style rifle. Has anyone heard of this maker before?

useless1.gif
fam291.gif

MZ3.jpg

MZ2.jpg

MZ1.jpg

MZ6.jpg

Sorry no insult intended. With the pictures here without having to go out on a link I hope you get an answer to your question faster.

Nice looking rifle by the way.

Sorry. I don't find anything about Scudder and Park or either name in my three gun builders references.
They may have been a retail company that bought locks and had their name stamped on them.

The rifle looks like many that were made in the 1840-1860 time frame.
Often these rifles were built using "store bought" locks with the suppliers name stamped on them.

The lock looks like it was originally flint though I can't say if the gun was built flint. A New England gun? An attractive piece.

New England rifle. Say 1820 or so. The lock was almost certainly an import from England. Never heard of that maker before, but there were scads of companies making locks in England for American export.

I think it was flint at one time and converted. Not that I would ever sell it, but any ideas what this might be worth? It looks nice above my fireplace.

Stophel said:
New England rifle. Say 1820 or so. The lock was almost certainly an import from England. Never heard of that maker before, but there were scads of companies making locks in England for American export.
I have no idea if this is connected, but there was a great fire in Boston in 1825 which consumed an entire block of buildings. In a listing of companies occupying those buildings, one on Liberty Square is listed as “Hard ware Scudder & Park".
http://www.masshist.org/findingaids/winslow/winslowfamilymem_transIV.pdf

Search within the document for Scudder.

Spence

Last edited by a moderator:
The patchbox style and cherry wood point to New England manufacture. The lock seems to show evidence of a pan filed off. Also, the percussion hammer doesn't look original to the nicely engraved lock.

Latest posts

Back