• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Scrimshawing a Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My powder horns shipped today and am planning to scrimshaw the larger non-priming horn. I was wondering about what knives people use to do this. I have some craft type exacto knives with the interchangeable blades. Would something like that work or do I need to look for something else?

I use a pin vise and put a large sewing needle in it. Sharpen the needle often, as in keep the stone oiled and next to you.
Others sharpen the tip of a hardened nail that has been set into a wooden handle.

Attachments

• 009 (800x600).jpg
    009 (800x600).jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 184
Okay I can do that. I wondered if it needed to be a slightly wider tip than the knives I was talking about. Sounds like thats the case!

The knife is great for straight lines and shading cross hatches etc. Needles and nails can be easier to control on contours, and work great on stippling. But you will find what works for you pretty fast. Don't fight it.
Wait till you find out the inside of the curve of the horn tends to be harder than the outside. Great place to have a knife slip beyond the design. :doh:

Having some kind of art ability will help. I after two attempts found I have 0 ability. My sister was an artist, I am not. I however can do period style scratches with no talent same as the original folk did.

It is your horn what it comes out is yours and no one else's. IMHO

I do have some remote artistic ability so I should probably be okay. I guess I was mainly just wondering if they exacto knives would even make a thick enough groove to be visible even when filled with ink it lead/graphite/charcoal. I think I probably will figure out what works pretty quickly though. Thanks guys!

My powder horns shipped today and am planning to scrimshaw the larger non-priming horn. I was wondering about what knives people use to do this. I have some craft type exacto knives with the interchangeable blades. Would something like that work or do I need to look for something else?

dental drills are also good, until they take of on you! and there is no stopping them.

People use all types of implements to scrimshaw. Personally, I think you should buy a tungsten-carbide scriber. They are not expensive, will last for years, and work as designed. I also suggest you purchase one book: Recreating the 18th Century Powderhorn, by Scott & Cathy Sibley. This book will go a long way to help you create quality scrimshaw, and make it easier.

Back