• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Scrimshawing a Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coulter precision tool found on ebay works great for my wife. She has done well over 100 horns (not traditional style scrimshaw but very detail non the less)with his tool, not on 1 tip but send them back and he sharpens them cheap.

You will not regret the book or the scriber. Enjoy! P.S. there are other really good books out there that will show you things you never thought of. These can come with time.
I ended up picking up a scriber. Seemed worth the low cost to save me time on constantly sharpening. I started to draw the design on the horn in pencil. Will show a picture of progress later today.

Well i got some of the design roughly drawn on with pencil. I feel like I may have gone too big with the name but it's sort of growing on me. That's the name of the character I plan to reenact and a thistle between the name since he is a transported Jacobite Scot. I am thinking a mountain range silhouette over the name and possibly a compass and north star on top. Not sure about the bottom and inside yet. Possibly some decorative borders at the spout and base. Possibly some leafy vines around the some of the letters. Definitely a work in progress.
20200922_203051.jpg

Back