• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Scrimshaw question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am making a buffalo powder horn and was wondering if anyone has tried to scrimshaw one with white ink. If so, how did it turn out?

Yes, I have. I used
iu.jpeg
. It doesn't leave a hard enamel finish like paint so with use it picks up a sort of patina which blends better with the horn. I've heard of people using red but I have never tried it.
Robby

It is solvent based, the smearing on the horn gets removed with 0000 steel wool, so I never use the solvent.
Robby

I am making a buffalo powder horn and was wondering if anyone has tried to scrimshaw one with white ink. If so, how did it turn out?
Now THAT's a darn good question? I've never used anything but Black mechanical drawing (India) ink, and that wouldn't show up.:~))))) I've got a few bottles of Silver stamp pad ink that I used to use on my custom electric guitars, but I'm not sure if THAT would show up either? It takes on a dark, almost Black hue, if you get it on too heavy.
Just my $0.02 but it might be worth a try?
God bless:
Two Feathers

Yes it can be done with good success. Have made several such horns when good quality Buffalo horn turns up here in the upper Great Lakes. After a lot of trial and errors I found that, first you need to scratch very sharp and moderately deep grooves in the surface. I use a pin vise and old used phone graph needles. Surface prep is a key element too. Polish done to at least 600 grit so surface is bright and smooth. Sometime hard with Buffalo. Has a tendency to burn blemish if you rush the polishing. Once the scratching is begun I use Grumbach oil base artist paint in the tube. Squeeze some on to news paper to soak up some of the paint solvent and use your finger or cotton cloth to vigorously rub and fill the scratching as you go along. Since this is oil base paint in must sit and set harden. Light buffing with bare cloth, after will complete the process. Sorry no pics.

Back