• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Screwless butt plates

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok folks,

My Great Plains Rifle has two screw's on the butt plate to hold it tight.

However, seems thet I don't see them on some riflegun's - I it only the angle of the picture or are there butt plates thet don't have screws ta hold them on.

Begg'n the question - if there ain't no screw's - how does ya get it to stay there - or do I have a screw loose?

Spot

Spot, I have a couple that are pinned much the same as a triggerguard or thimble at the top....but they have a single screw to hold it flush near the toe of the buttplate.

I am building an English officers fusil and I silver soldered an L shaped hook under the butt plate tang which slips into a lateral hole in the inletting. Sound and secure, but an invisible attachment with one screw in the main butt section.

All of my rifles have two screws holding the butt plate in place. One screw coming down from the top in the comb extention and one down towards the toe plate.

By the way, as these screws are usually large, they aren't real easy to drive in even if you pre-drill (which I would strongly recommend doing).
To help the screws enter the wood easily rub some candle wax or some bar soap on the screws threads before you screw it in. Any brand of bar soap will do but liquid soap (like dish soap) doesn't seem to work as well.

Latest posts

Back