• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

screwdrivers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waksupi, what color do you draw your temper to for screwdrivers? I make chasing tools for metalwork and draw to a dark straw but these are basically punches, I am also using O-1.

Just shot my Remmie 1858 with my son and my daughter's boyfriend. It was a lot of fun and they shot it real well. I am still getting used to cleaning the gun and sometimes it seems to take forever. I am trying to get all the correct equipment so the job is efficient and my cleaning time reduced. I have junk screwdrivers and they don't fit well. Already making some slight marring in the screw slots. I want to (need to??) get the gun completely apart with trigger off, hammer off,... so no water ends up in some dark space and rusts my gun. I think its time I invest in some quality screwdrivers for the gun. What type, kind, brand, size will get my gun apart (Remmington 1858) ? I've been looking at the Grace brand, which have the wood handles, and they are expensive but seem to have good ratings. How can I tell what sizes to get? I looked at my Pietta catalogue but no suggestions there. Do I just measure screw slot diameters?

Thanks for any recommendations on screwdriver selection!

Daniel
Anyone embarking on a lifetime of being a "gun nut" needs to invest in a set of dedicated Screwdrivers! See Brownell's gunsmith supply for a variety of sets. You don't need the 325-piece set necessarily, but there are smaller sets and you can even buy ones for specific BP guns, like the Peacemaker, etc. Check BP supply houses! Do it now, you Youngsters, don't despair like an old fool such as I who "made do" with non-specific screwdrivers! Best of Luck!

I purchased the following "Add On" set of thin bits after I came back from the World Championships in 1996. (I was lucky I didn't need them at that shoot, as some of my own modified original turnscrews fit the slots I was worried about.) I paid close to $40.00 back then and they have gone up a might a quarter of a century later.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...aspx?msclkid=bad8e6ab5f2d1b9e2d6d858be5c377d5
However at the 1998 World Championships, I was immensely happy I had them when the Captain of the French Team handed me an original Ca. 1810 Flintlock Saw Handled Target Pistol made by the Master Gunsmith and Armourer to Napoleon, Nicolas-Noël Boutet.

These thin bit sets will also keep you out of trouble on many period and non-period European guns with those tiny screw slots.

Gus

Just shot my Remmie 1858 with my son and my daughter's boyfriend. It was a lot of fun and they shot it real well. I am still getting used to cleaning the gun and sometimes it seems to take forever. I am trying to get all the correct equipment so the job is efficient and my cleaning time reduced. I have junk screwdrivers and they don't fit well. Already making some slight marring in the screw slots. I want to (need to??) get the gun completely apart with trigger off, hammer off,... so no water ends up in some dark space and rusts my gun. I think its time I invest in some quality screwdrivers for the gun. What type, kind, brand, size will get my gun apart (Remmington 1858) ? I've been looking at the Grace brand, which have the wood handles, and they are expensive but seem to have good ratings. How can I tell what sizes to get? I looked at my Pietta catalogue but no suggestions there. Do I just measure screw slot diameters?

Thanks for any recommendations on screwdriver selection!

Daniel
The screwdrivers have to be hollow ground and hardened. This configuration has the blade surfaces of the driver, in full contact with the ‘walls’ of the screw head = no wedging out of the slot and buggering up the slot. Check out Brownells, also, most replica screw heads are softer than they should be.

Back