• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Screwdriver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for a source for some good quality turn screws/ screwdrivers to carry in shooting bags.

Small to carry easily but capable of removing a lock and tightening the flint down in a cock, if it did double duty with some other function, so much the better.

Thanks!

Brownells has a great set of screwdriver bits and handles. The bits are hollow ground to fit the screw slot, not like the wedge shaped hardware store general purpose screwdrivers. Brownells has bits for almost every screw on firearms. There is one handle that is hollow, to store unused bits. That might fit your needs. All you have to do is find the few bits you need.

I did not make myself clear, I have several sets of Chapman screwdrivers....I am looking for something fairly flat, possibly hand forged more "period correct" for carrying in a shooting bag

The best there is IMHO are made from a 2-3 in piece of 3/4 to 1” saw band with teeth ground off and ends shaped. Let’s see if I can put up a picture. Use the side for lock jaw, it never slips and is very strong. Don’t harrumph it till you try it, none better! I save all my old saw bands for this purpose.

Attachments

• F571A5D0-3B31-44A9-8A82-723D1ACA0253.jpeg
    F571A5D0-3B31-44A9-8A82-723D1ACA0253.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 97
Looking for a source for some good quality turn screws/ screwdrivers to carry in shooting bags.

Small to carry easily but capable of removing a lock and tightening the flint down in a cock, if it did double duty with some other function, so much the better.

Thanks!
Are you talking about one of these?
aDSC_7817_1200x.jpg
\
Here's the URL Samson Historical A Colonial Outfitter Other places have them, too. So check all the usual muzzle loading suppliers.

Thanks!

These are hardly HC/PC, but look at this: https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-To...coin+shaped+screwdriver&qid=1616863684&sr=8-6

I've carried them for years and find them to be perfect for both lock bolts and tightening the bolt on the cock/hammer.

Turn screws looking like that were known in the past. And military style was also known. Track of the wolf does offer rosewood handled ones that are very close to old designs
Track of the wolf, Samson’s Historic, Avalon Forge,Turkey foot traders all sell ‘hand forged’ turn screws.
Many are made from square stock because it looks nice. Round stock ones are found in museums.

These little turnscrews aren't any harder to make than a patch knife. I turned the handle on a lathe (although you could whittle it out). I silver soldered sheet brass into a tube for the ferrule (premade brass or copper tube would've been easier). Steel was from a worn out sawzall blade shaped on a grinder. Cut a slot into the handle, slip the ferrule on, apply a little good epoxy, and tap the blade into the slot.
IMG_20210329_084805.jpg

Latest posts

Back