• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

screwdriver set

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello
I'm looking for a good set of gunsmithing screwdrivers. I have a Chapman set and it works for most things but I'd like a dedicated screwdriver set. So far I've found a Grace set and a Foster set that may or may not be hollow ground. It appears the Foster's may be but there is a question about blade with. Some mention they are all the same size.
While the Grace set I don't thing there are hollow ground at all.
So anybody know of a set of good hollow ground gunsmithing screwdrives?

I have a set of interchangeable screwdriver bits from Brownells. Very good piece of kit. 100% guaranteed. The base set is okay but getting extra bits fills the gap from very thin to very thick blades. One thing that really bugs me is seeing boogered-up screw slots caused by ill-fitting turnscrews.

Flea mkt. ones , and yard sale one's from bygone days , 1950's , 1960's are fine choices , if you know which drivers are the good ones. Since I was in the electronics business , and the company I worked for blessed me with an expense acct. covering tools , I turned a bunch of the best screwdrivers on the planet , into stock carving chisels. Mine are new bought , but with a little looking , good quality can be had for almost nothing.

I have the Brownell's set as well and really like them. Over the years I added the torx and thin blade assortments they offer. I don't often need those thin blades but when you need them you really need them.

In gunsmithing school I had the Brownell's starter kit and because I was dumb and didn't know what I was doing I managed to break some. I kept those broken bits in case I had to custom grind them for some bizarre application.

,, set that may or may not be hollow ground.
You seem a bit confused.
Both Grace and Foster offer hollow ground and straight set's and present that information with their listings.
You need to do a little more research about screwdriver tip configuration and application/fit to resolve the confusion before asking about which manufacture is best.
When it comes to a guns care,, it requires dis-assembly and assembly multiple times within it's lifetime for proper cleaning and lubrication.
Heavy torque while using a solid fixed, poorly fitting screwdriver tip is what causes the most damage,,
aka; buggered up screws look bad.

In our current world we deal with american standard and metric configurations, many times with the same individual gun and/or as we have pieces move through our hands.
As @Rifleman1776 said, a magnetic head multiple set offers the best option to find a good fitting bit with each application needed.
Hollow ground is best.
I got mine as "Craftsmen" set from sears 25yrs ago and a pocket set 10yrs after that,, bent a few,, and replaced them.
(Hardware stores have individual tips)
I'd recommend as large a hollow ground magnetic tip set as you can afford, then understanding what you have and how to use it.

Last edited:
I've used a Wheeler 89 piece set for many years. Save up the money and buy the Brownells. Perhaps because my Wheeler set is older, the driver tips did not come magnetized. I glued tiny magnets inside the shaft to remedy the situation. Broke several tips (without much effort) as they seemed fairly brittle. It's been a good set but not a great set. I will be buying the Brownells set in the near future. Once again, 'Buy once, cry once'.

Brownells thin bit and also the regular set. Since many of the guns we use are of European manufacture and they use thin slots and you will need the thin bit set. Beat Wheelers coming and going.

Keep in mind, bits are a consumable item, you may need to replace them along the way. I buy bits for whatever firearms I have, many have bits that are unique to them. The cost of the bits is so low compared to their utility that it should not be a concern.

As far as magnetized handles, there are times when a non-magnetized handle would be preferred.

If one is serious about tools I would purchase the Brownells set you will not be disappointed when the time comes for a screwdriver tip that actually fits the head. Have had the set for years A++.

Hello
I'm looking for a good set of gunsmithing screwdrivers. I have a Chapman set and it works for most things but I'd like a dedicated screwdriver set. So far I've found a Grace set and a Foster set that may or may not be hollow ground. It appears the Foster's may be but there is a question about blade with. Some mention they are all the same size.
While the Grace set I don't thing there are hollow ground at all.
So anybody know of a set of good hollow ground gunsmithing screwdrives?
Please check the Brownell's site; they have a selection of sets. Midway, too. You can get up to like a pro set with 344 bits! just sayin' . Good luck, all "gun guys" should invest in a good set right from their youth!

I too vote for the Brownells sets. I have every bit they offer and several handles, all good stuff! Occasionally a thin bit will twist or break off, but Brownells will replace it for free if ordering something else to ship it with if ordered by phone. If placing the order over the net, there is no way to communicate that to them, so I usually just end up paying for it myself, no big deal.

Back