• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Scratch affecting accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My stupid butt put a scratch down the bore with my pocket knife trying to remove a stuck wire brush. I scratched the barrel "across ways" in the bore. Will this affect accuracy, in all practicality? I could not get a good picture.

I wouldn’t think so. Best bet is to get it out and shoot it from the bench and see if it groups like your used to. When you clean give it an extra stroke or two where the scratch is. You could also send it out and get it reamed a bit if it bothers you.

I have a very rough amateur done smooth bore. It would scare you to drop a bore light down it and look. But, it's an accurate gun, 3 shot groups touch at 25 yards if I do my part.

Soak a patch in lapping compound (preferably) or valve grinding oil, and with a cleaning jag, run the patch down and back up the bore until you are satisfied that the scratch is gone.

Now, your initial post "My stupid butt put a scratch down the bore with my pocket knife..." brought to mind some humorous mental images...😁

Back