• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Scraping up some advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My pic didn't come thru.

Attachments

• IMG_20230315_190935.jpg
    IMG_20230315_190935.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Okay, I don't know a lot about scrapers but on a thin metal scraper, I thought to file at 90 degrees and then use a burning rod back and forth which raises a burr on one edge and that is what cuts/removes wood. If so, then a metal scraper would be best.
FALSE economy, spent $800 plus making a rifle and skip paying $7-10 for a good scraper. They last forever.

I’m gonna pick up some metal scrapers,
But I’m pretty content with broken glass, for the most part it works great! Thanks for the advice.

FALSE economy, spent $800 plus making a rifle and skip paying $7-10 for a good scraper. They last forever.

Absolutely correct!
I look at things like tools as having an infinite working life. Your gun is going to be a timeless article too. It will spend forever in the rack, and only a short time (relatively speaking) on the bench. Take what ever time you need (and self-education and research is a big part of it) to do the absolute BEST job you can with this current project.

Education and skill evolution is a continuum, not a destination. As long as you want to keep learning and improving, you will.

I use razor blades to scrape. I generally stone them until they are flat and then that will generally raise an edge on both edges if you're doing it right. That being said, I really don't like a scraped finish, I find it pretty rough with a lot of tool marks. Once I get a stock completely shaped out with rasps and files I go to a scraper to get all the tool marks out, then I'll do any raised relief carving and scrape around the carving. Then I start sanding like "normal".
Scraping is generally best done on only very hard sugar maple.

That’s the type of kit I want to put together. I’ve seen the larger ones on the left and plan on getting those. who would you recommend I get them from? As for the smaller finishing scrapers on the right, where can I find those? How do you sharpen these? Thank you!
They have them at Woocraft and Rockler

I agree with Col. B. Years ago I was always rushing to get work done. Why? If you are a pro then you have bills to pay. The one big plus for the hobbyist is there is no profit motive so take lots of time. As stated, you are going to live with your creation forever so do it right.

Back