• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Scottish Percussion Deer Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I came across a patent Scottish 14 bore deer rifle by William Landell of Glasgow Scotland circa 1840, most likely it would have been built for stalking on the hill which then was becoming quite popular .The barrel which is Damascus twist is octangle 39 inches long with a 4 groves rifling with one full twist it has 3 leaf sights of which 2 are folding .It is also fitted with set triggers and on the muzzle end of the barrel is a device which resembles a bayonet fitting but I have come to the conclusion it is too attach a stick rest when sighting in the quarry ,maybe some members have a different answer .
Feltwad
100_3181.JPG
100_3188.JPG
100_3179.JPG
100_3181.JPG
100_3188.JPG
100_3179.JPG
100_3174.JPG

The notch and the direction it’s filed make me think of an attachment that is not meant to come off upon recoil, more so than a support.
Thanks for sharing, nice history.

C9EFECB5-C6BD-43F9-90ED-49087D8B3A66.jpeg

I've never heard of this type of rifle. 14 bore would be 0.693", or about 69 caliber. A rifle ball that size would retain a lot of energy at a very long range. It ought to be a real game getter.

You have a beautiful and interesting rifle. Thanks for sharing!

Notchy Bob

Odd as it might seem I think it is for some sort of bayonet .The customer is always right, Could be for more dangerous game in the Colonies ,The saying was if your out for partridge be prepared for tiger .No doubt the reason for the Paradox type shotguns popular in India Faunetta bullets & such like . The barrel looks long as such rifles go . Pig hunters here use dogs & go in with a knife mostly . Positively Medievil but some might have preferred just such an option as your gem .
Regards Rudyard

With the fitting on the muzzle end of the 39 inch Octangle barrel which is inclined to be muzzle heavy I still believe it was for a detachable rest stick when sighting in onto the quarry . A bayonet fitting it could be but I do not think so even today some deer stalker carry a thumb stick not only to help them walk over rough terrain but also to rest their rifle on when taking a shot
Feltwad

Wouldn't a rest fitted to the side like that tend to twist the rifle?
Not a good thing at any range.
Also it seems too far forward, ideally, for a rest.

As "52 Bore" stated something obviously slid on from the front and locked in.
The catch rod was made long enough to potentially provide rigidity for whatever was locked on. Much like a Mauser type bayonet lug.
Perhaps if it were for Boar hunting or being sent to India a bayonet would not be out of the question.
Bayonets were fitted to pistols for a back up. Why not a rifle for potentially irate game?

I've never heard of this type of rifle. 14 bore would be 0.693", or about 69 caliber. A rifle ball that size would retain a lot of energy at a very long range. It ought to be a real game getter. You have a beautiful and interesting rifle. Thanks for sharing! Notchy Bob

Back then, as now, even with modern rifles and c*r*r*d*e*, game 'on the hill' is rarely taken about 250 yards - or so. apart from slight folds in the landscape, there isn't actually anywhere to hide 'on the hill'....sneaking up on the deer from behind a tree is great, if you can do it, but 'on the hill' there are NO trees.

BTW, what a beautiful rifle that is - I'd love to shoot it someday....sigh...........................................

Ahem. Quote from The Scottish Farmer magazine - 'Shooting deer at night is prohibited in Scotland unless authorised by Scottish Natural Heritage and is not legal in countries such as Germany, Sweden, Denmark or Austria.'

Feltwad,

Very bonny rifle you have there. Congrats!
I'd like to see a side-on photo, full length and also butt-stock to end of foreend if possible, to get a better 'feel' of it.
Very nice stub twist barrel. Did you brown it? Lovely anyway!
Re bayonet, Id say yes, Maybe.....as bayonets were at times fitted to civilian guns and rifles all through history apparently.
I can only think a bayonet would be very unhandy, But Usually, a gun made for a rest, when shooting from a hunting pavilion, had a flat blocked area at the muzzle to rest the barrel on.
It May well have been for a rest of some type, but I have never seen one attached in this manner.
We should do some digging on this subject!

Thank you for showing this fine rifle my old pal.

Richard.

I concur with Pukka that this rifle is PROBABLY fitted for a hunting bayonet. Although I have never seen one fitted this way for an octagon barrel, the side lug is reminiscent of the Pattern 1858 mounting. I also show a hunting bayonet fitted to a European flintlock musket to show a "typical" attachment

I came across a patent Scottish 14 bore deer rifle by William Landell of Glasgow Scotland circa 1840, most likely it would have been built for stalking on the hill which then was becoming quite popular .The barrel which is Damascus twist is octangle 39 inches long with a 4 groves rifling with one full twist it has 3 leaf sights of which 2 are folding .It is also fitted with set triggers and on the muzzle end of the barrel is a device which resembles a bayonet fitting but I have come to the conclusion it is too attach a stick rest when sighting in the quarry ,maybe some members have a different answer .
FeltwadView attachment 33398View attachment 33399View attachment 33402View attachment 33398View attachment 33399View attachment 33402View attachment 33403
Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 10.54.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 10.54.24 AM.png

Back