• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Scottish Deer Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Enclosed are images on a Scottish deer rifle built in 1840 by William Landell Glasgow This gun features a14bore size with a 39-inch octangle Damascus twist barrel with four groves and a three-position leaf sight and a set trigger mainly built for deer stalking on the Scottish hills an unusual fitting is on the side of the barrel at the muzzle for which there have been many explanations my theory is it for the attachment of a stick rest for taking a shots on account of the barrel which is muzzle heavy it has also has been said it is for fixing a bayonet but why do you want a bayonet on a deer rifle Even today many modern stalkers us e a forked stick which is known has a thumb stick to steady the gun when taking a shot so I am sticking to my theory that it is for a stick rest.
Feltwad
100_3203.JPG
100_3204.JPG
100_3205.JPG
100_3207.JPG

Was the checkering cut and left flat by design? I think someone mentioned in a previous thread that with some rifles the checkering was not worn with age, but rather that it was not cut sharp as we see in guns today.

Was the checkering cut and left flat by design? I think someone mentioned in a previous thread that with some rifles the checkering was not worn with age, but rather that it was not cut sharp as we see in guns today.
You will find that 99% of English checkering has always been cut flat top even to the present day .
Feltwad

Nice gun the first pic there seems to be a sling attachment in the toe area of the stock, just a wild guess if this is so perhaps the attachment on the barrel is for a sling. Drug a few deer in my time and a sling is always nice.

That piece alongside the muzzle could be for a bayonet or hunting sword of some type. The notch in the middle of the metal rod could be for a locking device, catch, latch, something to secure the item onto the rod. Maybe ?

That piece alongside the muzzle could be for a bayonet or hunting sword of some type. The notch in the middle of the metal rod could be for a locking device, catch, latch, something to secure the item onto the rod. Maybe ?
Take a another look at the notch in the bar it is cut wrong for a bayonet ,I still think it is for fixing some sought of rest to take a long shot because it is a muzzle heavy barrel
Feltwad

For consideration - I have seen pics of guns resting on a man’s shoulder for support, perhaps this is a “hang on tight” handle for the gun bearer?
Just a thought if it was for a prop/support I’d want it further back at a balance point.

Congrats. That is in incredible condition for 182 years old. Do you know any of its history?

Congrats. That is in incredible condition for 182 years old. Do you know any of its history?
Has to the actual history of this piece all I can say is that I purchased it from auction some years ago What I know is it is built by William Landell of Glasgow 1840-50 he was a builder of deer rifles all on the same style but the one I own was a one off with the fitting on barrel side of the octangle barrel at the muzzle lend
Feltwad

Enclosed are images on a Scottish deer rifle built in 1840 by William Landell Glasgow This gun features a14bore size with a 39-inch octangle Damascus twist barrel with four groves and a three-position leaf sight and a set trigger mainly built for deer stalking on the Scottish hills an unusual fitting is on the side of the barrel at the muzzle for which there have been many explanations my theory is it for the attachment of a stick rest for taking a shots on account of the barrel which is muzzle heavy it has also has been said it is for fixing a bayonet but why do you want a bayonet on a deer rifle Even today many modern stalkers us e a forked stick which is known has a thumb stick to steady the gun when taking a shot so I am sticking to my theory that it is for a stick rest.
FeltwadView attachment 178274View attachment 178276View attachment 178277View attachment 178278
Dear Felt Wad .Just an idea, it does have an uncommonly long barrel if a deer was hit & seemed dead enough pokeing it in the eye will clarifie things . And just maybe our rifle owner had a fright when the' dead ' Deer got up and had a go at him. ( Can't blame it can we ?) Accordingly he ordered this rifle to be sure that fright wasn't repeated .Or he was active or planning to go to Africa or India where a long barreled rifle with a bayonet might be useful . I generally carried a knife suitable to finish off a downed but not out animal even a 12" dudgeon dagger sometimes if wild Pigs where likely .Deer rifle loads where not high velocity thinking ,more to bring it down with accuracy .I had the barrel of a Gun / rifled set made by Horsley of York beautiful thing just the rifled barrel of 16 bore I made up a rude stock to try it & it shot well but being' pushed for a quid 'I let Zoran of Kranks have it & regretted it ever since , He got Dereck Fearn of Catton gun to mate it to a loose stock . But of course he sold it on .Always wondered where it got too .
Regards Rudyard

If any member has the book [British Pistols And Guns 1640-1840 ]by Ian Glendenning published in 1951 , he shows his own W Landell percussion deer rifle on plate 33 page 152 plus a full description he also mentioned the particulars of some which have a sling and states the they were from a swivel just above the heel of the butt to a ring on the ramrod pipe .
Feltwad

Back