• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Scored a deal? I hope nobody pees on my parade.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to a not very local gun show today, not really shopping for anything in particular. Seldom see much muzzleloading stuff, $80 (Cdn) powder has ceased to be a shock or even much of a disappointment. Such is life. But all in all more muzzleloading guns than normal.

As I'm strolling down the aisle, what must have been the sole "Hawken" style for sale caught my eye. What I have since sussed out to be an Investarm Model 120 in .45. Price tag was $275. Definitely been well used but not abused. Stock seemed sound, just a tiny amout of rust at muzzle and a new nipple on it. Ran a patch down the pipe, smooth the whole way and not excessively dirty when it came out.

Hummed and hawed and walked away and came back and fondled and walked away again. Ran into the boss who was checking out the antique sale and mentioned it to her. Took her over to see it, started the negotiations and kind of got pushed aside.

In the end I got it for $225 which came to $163 and change in USD. Gladly bought some bits and bobs as well without negotiating since I felt bad for the nice lady who tried to dicker with my wife.

Think I did ok. Figger it's worth putting some bucks into at that price. If it's a dud I can part it out, blindside somebody else in a deal or get really dirty and throw on the blanket next time I get to a shoot.

I've sold a few of those that came into the store where I once worked, but never shot one. Most of them looked pretty well-made and had pretty nice wood. I'd say that the price was quite reasonable. I routinely sold them for $295.00 or more in the store... and that was few years ago.

Went to a not very local gun show today, not really shopping for anything in particular. Seldom see much muzzleloading stuff, $80 (Cdn) powder has ceased to be a shock or even much of a disappointment. Such is life. But all in all more muzzleloading guns than normal.

As I'm strolling down the aisle, what must have been the sole "Hawken" style for sale caught my eye. What I have since sussed out to be an Investarm Model 120 in .45. Price tag was $275. Definitely been well used but not abused. Stock seemed sound, just a tiny amout of rust at muzzle and a new nipple on it. Ran a patch down the pipe, smooth the whole way and not excessively dirty when it came out.

Hummed and hawed and walked away and came back and fondled and walked away again. Ran into the boss who was checking out the antique sale and mentioned it to her. Took her over to see it, started the negotiations and kind of got pushed aside.

In the end I got it for $225 which came to $163 and change in USD. Gladly bought some bits and bobs as well without negotiating since I felt bad for the nice lady who tried to dicker with my wife.

Think I did ok. Figger it's worth putting some bucks into at that price. If it's a dud I can part it out, blindside somebody else in a deal or get really dirty and throw on the blanket next time I get to a shoot.
It’s too stinking cold to be peeing at a parade!;-)

Nothing wrong with Investarms , I got 3 of them all in .50 cal , The twins 1 flint & 1 perc. Hawkin style. and the baby back-up a perc. Carbine. I've been known to carry a rifle and the Carbine at the same time while Hunting. for that fast humane Coup de Gras. they've never Failed to get the job done When I do My part. He!! I'll give you your 163 USD sight unseen....Some guys have all the LUCK..I hope you at least Kissed the guy...Be Safe>>>>>>>Wally

There are a number of pawn shops in Edmonton that I'm tempted to check out that could be dangerous to my wallet.
You made one heck of a good deal there!

Sending in the little woman to negotiate and close the deal, I like it, a strategy that has worked for me on more than one occasion. She's an anxious and willing participant, I mean she really digs it. I give her my bottom dollar, leave her on her own and viola` she scores about 90% of the time and usually for less than my target price. Gotta say, I'm a pretty lucky fellow, she calls herself "The Closer".

Good deal! In the near future Investarms/Lymans are going to be remembered and regarded as the old T/c's were. My three Investarms/Lymans are going NO WHERE.

Back