• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Scope Mount For A Octagon Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper_52

32 Cal
Reaction score
Because the builder of this gun screwed up the dovetails for the sight mounts and I can't find any so I decided to mount a 3-9x power scope on it I had laying around. After talking to my brother found out T/C had made a magnetic mount for a scope and decided to try it3d printing one. I have very slight windage movement that I believe is caused from using round magnets instead of rectangular ones (which are ordered). Opinions good or bad are always welcome and help us novices keep the cart BEHIND the horse. The new magnets are 1x1/2"x1/8". 6 of them are now mounted giving me a pull force of 84 lbs. There is no movement in the scope.

Attachments

• IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I would be surprised if this works, I think recoil will cause a very slight shifting of the scope, very small but enough to cause POA/POI problems.

Now if you added some sort of metal stop to keep the scope from shifting forward on recoil that may work.

A basic 3x9 scope will not work that far forward. The eye relief will be way out of whack.

You'll need a scout scope for proper eye relief.

And Bubba would use hose clamps to secure the scope. Just remember to inlet the stock so the straps have clearance.

P.S. Paint your 45 degree obliques with epoxy. That will take care of your windage problem. Oil the barrel so the epoxy doesn't stick to the barrel.

If you are that serious about the scope why not drill n tap holes for the base? Two or three small tapped holes will not hurt, the bbl. has a lot of meat so it would be safe and secure. I had one drilled for the tasco brass 1x scope years back it looked great but was useless, removed it cause couldn't see manure in low light worse than iron sites. holes are still there filled with small set screws to keep various junk out and doesn't look bad.
coupe

You don't say what kind of rifle it is. If there are dovetail slots in the barrel any decent machinist should be able to repair it and or fit dovetailed sights on it for you. For the amount of time and effort you are putting into a jury rigged set up I would just do it right.

You don't say what kind of rifle it is. If there are dovetail slots in the barrel any decent machinist should be able to repair it and or fit dovetailed sights on it for you. For the amount of time and effort you are putting into a jury rigged set up I would just do it right.
Trouble is I don;t know what kind of gun it is. Forum said it was from the 60's and I already have too much into it. I hate to have the barrel drilled after I just had it nickel plated.

Trouble is I don;t know what kind of gun it is. Forum said it was from the 60's and I already have too much into it. I hate to have the barrel drilled after I just had it nickel plated.
Post pictures of the dovetail slots in the barrel. It doesn't take long or much work to do a little correcting of the slots or make a dovetail to fit. Might be able to just fix the slots so a standard size sight will fit. I have had machinists fix things for me where I work. A good one can do wonders in a very short period of time.

The magnetic mounts that used to be on the market were split down the middle & came down the sides of the barrel & had cross-bolts to tighten/clamp them to the barrel. They didn't just rely on the magnets to hold them in place.

You really don't need to know what brand or style of gun it is to repair dovetails. How bad did the former owner screw up the dovetails (photo). Probably should have been addressed before the plating.

I've never had any luck with scopes on muzzleloaders. First, you gotta have long eye relief, then you gotta worry about parallax. Once you get it sighted in, you have to clean the rifle, which means you probably want to remove the scope. When you put it back on, you have to sight it in again... despite the claims that the scope will remain zeroed.

Why do you need a 3-9 on a muzzleloader? How far are you gonna shoot with it?

FWIW, my advice is to put that money into a good aperture sight.

The scope can be removed with very little chance of zero being effected.

The trick is to make sure the hose clamp screws are torqued to the same specification every time.

Back